19 days ago
We’re committed to creating better places for everyone. We take pride in making a difference, but also in being the difference: for the communities we serve, whatever the challenge, whatever the weather. By designing and consulting, building and maintaining, managing and investing in our country’s services and infrastructures we create better places to live, work and travel.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You’re surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There’ll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You’ll be stretched but always supported. To bring out the better in you. To shine as a better team player or self-starter. To help you commit to better each day, delivering whatever steps it takes, great or small, to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It’s more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we’re proud to be the better.
What is the purpose of this role?
Here at Amey we have recently been awarded the Specialist Bridge Inspection and Maintenance contract (SBIM) for Avonmouth and Severn Bridges, by Highways England.
The 15-year contract, worth £16 million per annum, will see Amey manage three major structures from November 2020, each with unique characteristics and structural complexities; the M5 Avonmouth Bridge, the M4 Prince of Wales Bridge and the M48 Severn Bridge.
To assist the Operational Team and Ganger by managing all routine and re-active maintenance activities and elements of emergency response operations on the Severn Bridges contract including the operation and maintenance of the underdeck access gantries on the Severn Bridges.
What will this role involve?
The role of a gantry supervisor is to organise and control the maintenance, operation and use of the gantry in compliance with procedures and works instructions in particular to:
* Oversee the preparations before a new phase of gantry operation;
* Carry out the prescribed controls on access, personnel and use;
* Brief gantry drivers and personnel working on the gantry;
* Monitor operations and work, and instigate corrective actions;
* Maintain communications and coordinate the response to emergencies;
* Manage gantry records on a day to day basis;
* You will also be expected to carry out on site visits to work gangs to help solve any operational or resourcing issues, and ensure that the work is being undertaken safely, to the required standards and in accordance with the work programme, RAMS and to carry out HSEA site inspections in accordance with contract instructions.
* Provide any technical support to the work gangs as necessary .
* Ensure that the work gang accurately records all work carried out on their PDA so that accurate valuations can be submitted to the Client and ‘as built’ details and records can be provided if and when required .
* Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with CDM requirements.
* Brief the work gangs via regular tool box talks and safety briefings, ensuring PPE is adhered to correctly and carry out depot safety and environmental inspections in accordance with the contract requirements.
* Provide support to the QS team when required.
* Ensure that the waste produced on site is correctly identified and disposed in the approved manner.
* Emergency call outs and for other occasions as required, engage with supply chain, when necessary and ensure that their work is undertaken safely and to the required standard
* Arrange and process overtime working and timesheets to Operations Manager in timely manner and ensure compliance with the SOM principals.
* Ensure that employees accurately record their use of vibrating equipment to ensure HAVs audits are recorded and that this does not exceed the recommended levels.
* Ensure all COSHH data is available for employees when required.
* Ensure that the work gang is provided with the correct materials and traffic management for their work and that it is used in accordance with the specification, and with minimal waste.
* In liaison with General Manager, ensure that employees are not programmed to work excessive hours which would be in contravention of the working time directive.
* Liaise with the General Manager on employee availability to ensure correct matching of resources and work requirements.
* Ensure employees absences are correctly recorded on ESS/MSS including carrying out Performance Development Review (PDR) when required and manage their performance.
* Arrange training for employees as necessary and in accordance with the training matrix. Interview prospective employees in conjunction with others.
* Mentor employee and apprentices as required.
What are we looking for?
* Experience in a similar role
* Bridge experience desirable
* Full UK Driving Licence preferably with LGV Class C
* NVQ level 2 or City and Guilds
* Competent user of Microsoft Office
* Understand client business, requirements, service needs and aspirations
* Good liaison and interpersonal skills Team management skills
* Customer relationship skills
* Commercial awareness
* Basic Programming
* Excellent organisational and communication skills
* Willingness to work outside in all conditions
* Participation in emergency and winter service delivery Availability to work at Nights and Weekends
* Self-motivated and proactive in delivering solutions
* Experience of performance monitoring and continuous improvement
What makes this role unique?
You will assist with the control, the day to day maintenance, operation and use of the gantries on the Severn Bridges. You will also assist the Operational Team and Ganger by managing all routine and re-active maintenance activities and elements of emergency response operations.