12 months ago
This is Amey’s specialist unit for complex structured and project finance transactions with public and private clients. It is an exciting and dynamic environment focussed on driving strategic thinking on value added projects to deliver customer requirements with enhanced investment returns. It is responsible for structuring and management of equity investment and the procurement of long term debt, having raised £4bn of private finance over the past 10 years, including bank debt, bond issues, mezzanine debt, equity and European Investment Bank funding.
The Investments business currently comprises 18 projects managed on behalf of Amey and our co-investors DIF Infrastructure, InfraRed Capital Partners, Aberdeen Asset Management, Equitix and Amber Capital.
Two main purposes:
1. Work within Investment Management Finance team with the aim of enhancing Amey Investment’s reputation for pro-actively managing a structured investment portfolio of Special Purpose Companies (SPCs).
2. Work with Bidding and Special Projects teams to proactively manage and deliver transactions to a successful completion.
In both purposes to deliver specialist financial modelling activity and provide financial model solutions that drive investment performance, compliance activity and bids/M&A/special projects.
What will this role involve?
These tasks are working with Consortium partners, Amey Operations and specialist advisers to provide finance support activity for operational projects to identify, qualify and release investment value. You’ll be acting as the modelling interface for clients and co-investors and driving planning activity to keep projects on track and to ensure all parties are kept up to date and appropriately briefed at all stages.
* Deliver operational model updates with specific responsibility for qualifying financial assumptions based upon appropriate sources and informed analysis and driving completion and status reporting communications.
* Optimise operating models to maximise distributions to shareholders and identify, communicate and direct any corrective actions required. Generate Model Update reports with informed and targeted commentary.
* Deliver variant models or overlays required for internal review or comparison and/or to support amended forecasting or budgeting requirements as well as special projects modelling requirements.
* Coordinate and supervise external appointments for operating model builds at the end of the CIP period and any other agreed model revisions handled externally, to include appointments and management of model audit process.
* Interrogate externally managed SPV models to validate construction and assumptions or query and/or propose changes to improve.
* Act as resident modelling expert to help resolve or explain discrepancies between financial close/operational model expectations and actual management accounting results.
* Manage the interface with agents and lenders in relation to approval of models, including ratio related certifications.
* Completing covenant reporting and identifying and implementing associated reporting improvements and streamlined processes.
* Discuss, agree approach and undertake valuation of Amey Investment portfolio twice a year (May and November) to communicate results with appropriate comparatives and identification of implications.
Pre financial close activity, working with Bidding & Special Projects teams
These tasks involve driving the financial modelling and evaluation as part of structuring, bid winning and re-financing. You’ll need to be able to work with a virtual team of external advisors and professionals within Amey with technical, commercial and legal background.
* Prior to the bid coming to market, to sit with the client team / Amey internal team to look at their budgetary challenges and at ways these issues can be addressed through financial structuring.
* Build and manage financial models and coordinate model audit process. Optimise financial models to maximise value to shareholders.
* Work effectively to manage banking group alongside senior Investments lead and financial adviser (if applicable) to ensure the Amey bid submitted is robust and deliverable.
* Ensure each bid is delivered in accordance with the tender documents and the financial model reflects the details and logic.
* Attend dialogue meetings with funders, advisors, bid team and the client. Provide solid written submissions as part of the competitive dialogue process.
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, experience and qualifications (Needs to know):
Self starter with successful track record as a senior finance professional, obtained within PFI/PPP or M&A, preferably from a banking / advisory / sponsor background with 5+ years of experience in financing and project development.
Highly numerate and able to create, operate and manage a PFI / PPP financial model and provide other expert financial modelling skills.
Familiarity with standard form documentation and procurement process with requisite commercial knowledge and skills to work through project documents.
Commercial awareness and ability to communicate fluently and concisely, both within the group and externally, on complex business issues.
Good knowledge of accounting and accounting standards and taxation.
Professional Qualification(s) in related fields are desirable.
Essential characteristics (Needs to have):
* Personable and able to demonstrate negotiation/influencing skills across all interfaces with stakeholders.
Calm and professional in approach but able to be firm and decisive as required to drive process.
Willingness to travel and have overnight stays away across the UK to support project work and Investment Management staff in the regions, providing regular onsite support to the Oxford based finance team whilst maintaining London based presence working within Origination team.
Flexible work approach to accommodate unpredictable working hours and occasional requirement to work long hours.
Organisational skills to work on more than one project at once with strict deadlines.