5 months ago
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 5,000 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East North Africa and India, North America, Asia Pacific and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety first - no compromise, Client focus - deliver on our promise, Create opportunity - for our people to excel, Integrity - always doing the right thing. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most challenging and inspiring projects around the world.
We support our people who are aiming to achieve an academic or professional qualification that will help them develop personally and deliver to the highest standard for our clients. At Mace you can deepen your knowledge, expand your skills and define your own path.
Be a part of our programme management consultancy business that spans our five global hubs, where we oversee major events and infrastructure programmes of work for world leading organisations across the public and private sectors.
Field Engineer - Nuclear
The field engineer will be deemed an expert in his/her field and will be part of a team of field engineers and engineers to take responsibility for activities in the field relating to construction surveillance. The primary roles of this team is to deliver on the supervisor duties described in the NEC contract and ensure that the client’s quality needs, targets and aspirations are realised.
The field engineer will be a staunch advocate of our nuclear safety culture, and help to embed this approach in all processes and activities undertaken on the project.
The field engineer will report to the construction superintendent for day to day guidance and to the programme client team via the senior construction delivery manager. The field engineer will input into site wide management issues and a high level of interaction and coordination with other operational members of the site wide team will be required. In addition to reporting and liaising accountabilities the field engineer will be required to adhere to (and suggest enhancements and improvements to) company policies, procedures and protocols for construction, health and safety and other functions.
This role will be based at Hinkley Point C site.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Checking that the works are constructed in accordance with the contract and notifying the construction superintendent of defects before completion.
* Submitting details of any defects to assist in the issuing of a defects certificate.
* Advising the client’s delivery team on quality, safety, environmental, resource and progress issues.
* Proactively communicate with other site teams and to maintain good communication links, and ensure activity is well and timely reported.
* Contributing the information on specific areas to weekly and monthly reports, as well as issuing and maintaining performance and KPI indicators.
* Supporting the team instructions to take temporary measures to mitigate and keep works safe and within quality standards. Follow up by taking appropriate and proportionate action (e.g. issue communications, call meetings) to avoid the halt of works.
* Enhancing the team with a good perspective of current and future site activities.
* Ensuring that the tasks are developed to programme and quality in accordance with the company’s requirement for health, safety and environment.
* Providing information to assist in the management of strategic planning of the site set up, construction sequencing, recovery plans and resource allocation.
* Developing and maintain an understanding of the construction activities and their adherence to the schedule.
* Reviewing contractor performance against the authorised ITP.
* Making autonomous decisions and operate with minimal supervision.
* Providing leadership by personal example.
* Being a model for the company and client’s values and core disciplines.
Your experience, knowledge and skills need to include:
* Proven track record of working within a large construction team.
* Extensive previous working experience of large complex projects.
* Experience in the installation and erection of large mechanical or electrical plant.
* Proven experience of writing diaries both informative, concise and with relevance to the particular form of contract.
* Broad knowledge of construction techniques with high technical expertise across their specific types of constructions and forms of contract.
* Working knowledge of NEC, ECC and FIDIC contracts.
* Commercial awareness and have solid experience in the role on a variety of major projects.
* General understanding the posts obligations under CDM regulations - along with an understanding of the document and drawing approvals processes.
* Strong management, organisation, delegation and skills.
* Ability to work within a high performing team that continuously outperforms expectations and objectives.
* Strong communication skills in English required, knowledge of French can be an advantage.
* A minimum of HND in civil, mechanical, electrical engineering qualification or equivalent vocational training is preferred.
* Required to attend and pass the Clerk of Works course as part of the client’s upskilling training.
* Professional memberships are an advantage but are not essential.
“Mace is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our people to excel.”
West Somerset, UK