12 months ago
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Small Dole, West Sussex
Reporting to: Estimating Manager
The role of the Estimator is to produce a competitive, carefully resourced, analysed tender cost and submit the price and any necessary quality submissions to a client. Works would cover Budgets, Competitive and Negotiated contracts.
To be aware of company targets for new orders and aim to better them with profitable successful bids.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Studying tender documentation and information provided
* Liaison with the client and client’s designer when required
* Taking off quantities
* Site visits and discussions with key subcontractors
* Identifying temporary works design or assessments
* Working with the selected designer on D&B contracts
* Evaluating the programme requirements, developing methods of construction and suitable techniques to enable efficient cost effective resource levels to win bids
* Calculating the net costs of a tender from first principles
* Identify risks or ambiguities and discuss as appropriate with Client/ engineer to start developing a closer working relationship and ‘level the playing field’
* Identify risks to be taken by the company that are subject to the tender (senior manager) review
* Liaising with other staff for support (Buying, Design ,Contracts, QS, Senior Management)
* Ensuring that tenders are submitted on time and are complete
* Handing over successful tenders to Contracts Department upon award
* Liaising with Commercial and Procurement Departments during live contracts.
The company may, from time to time, require you to undertake duties other than those outlined in this job description and/or to undertake work in other departments/sites to meet customer demands. Any changes to this job description will be discussed and agreed with you.
Personal specifications - essential
* GCSE in Maths
* Minimum of 2 years’ experience of estimating or pricing variations within a civil engineering company
* Minimum of 4 years site experience
Personal specifications - desirable
* A Level in Maths
* HNC in civil engineering
* Working knowledge of the NEC Conditions of Contract
* Rivers & Coastal Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
* Water Treatment Works Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
* Ground Works (drainage, foundations etc) Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
* Ability to work as a team player within the department
* Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Project and demonstrate ability to adapt these programs to suit any estimate required.