23 days ago
: Jan 31, 2021
: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-London
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
: Quality Management and Testing
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Vice President
A hands-on technical DevOps Release Manager is required for a Tier 1 investment bank, working in a global front-office team that supports the Equity Swaps trading business.
You will be responsible for the management of the end to end release process for several core systems within the Equity Swaps space. This includes release planning, execution of the test cycle and ultimately the deployment to the production environment.
Throughout the process, you will need to communicate accurate status to a variety of stakeholders including managers within the IT and Business areas. If issues arise you will be expected to help debug & resolve or escalate appropriately. You will be communicating the release notes to the business and they will expect timely delivery of the actual production release.
As the guardian for the release process, you will be the face-off to the development team. You will need to manage the release candidate which is likely to include new features, bug fixes, patches and similar requests. Where you and your team detect problems within a release candidate, it will be your responsibility to help identify the causing JIRA and work with the relevant development team to resolve. You will also need to work closely with developers on how a feature needs to be rolled out and, of course, how it might be rolled-back if an issue is seen.
The role will require the day to day management of a small team. This team will help execute the testing process, resolve issues, as well as continually feed (often large) improvements back into the cycle. This might include improving our current test automation, or even re-architecting parts of our test and deployment process.
To succeed, you will need to be strong technically and actively hands-on with an ability to understand low level detail and logic. You should have experience in building custom test pipelines and automated release tooling. You will need to act as a guide and mentor to your team members in order to achieve your vision.
You are likely to have come from a development background. However, you will have had recent proven experience in a testing / release / devops / automation role. You might be entirely hands-on today developing test and release tooling; this role could be an opportunity for you to step-up in your career and to lead a small team for the first time, whilst continuing to remain hands on in the detail – however we would be looking for you to demonstrate that you are ready for such a move.
The role requires someone who is flexible, able to respond to a dynamic business environment and able to take ownership and responsibility for the delivery deadlines. The candidate should possess good analytical skills, good software engineering skills, a logical approach to problem solving, be able to work in a fast paced environment liaising with demanding stakeholders to understand complex requirements, have experience in complex data domains and be able to prioritise under pressure with minimal supervision.
The production deployment activities will require some weekend work
- Minimum 2:1 Bachelor’s degree in a core STEM subject
- A thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Experience with end to end testing, test concepts, test automation and best practice
- A solid understanding of the Release Management process including release automation
- Strong Unix / Linux knowledge, with Shell scripting (Perl or Python useful)
- RDBMS Sybase and/or DB2, with ability to write simple SQL queries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
- An awareness of when to escalate
- Experience leading and managing a small team
- Knowledge of Ansible, Jenkins and CI/CD, or similar tools and methods
- Knowledge of DevOps
- Foundations in server-side Java running on Linux
- Knowledge of the Equity Derivative business
- An interest to learn the business supported by the applications