6 months ago
Environmental Regulation Consultant - Conventional
Requisition ID :2020-80787
Work Location :GB-London
Additional Work Locations
GB-Cheshire-Knutsford | GB-Berkshire-Reading
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-Cheshire-Knutsford
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and high caliber individual to join our Regulation team, supporting the delivery of our existing portfolio of industry and waste sector projects and to support delivery of our growth plans.
The role requires an informed and practical understanding of industry and waste sectors and relevant regulatory regimes. Particular expertise is required in determining and interpreting Installation and Waste Management environmental permitting requirements for combustion, energy and waste activities. The successful candidate will deliver a range of projects including managing and authoring Permit applications, undertaking impact assessments and collaborating with our clients to comply with Permit conditions.
Our Regulation team works both individually and within multi-disciplinary teams, where we draw on Woods extensive pool of technical experts to deliver high quality and effective solutions to our clients. Such in-house expertise includes experts in planning and environmental impact assessment, air quality, water quality, waste management, carbon management, sustainability and environmental policy.
As we continue to grow our involvement in key infrastructure projects across a range of sectors, a successful candidate will be exposed to an excellent opportunity to further develop their technical specialism within an established, positive and diverse team of experts, providing the ideal next step in a career in environmental regulation and compliance.
We have opportunities available at Senior and Principal grades.
With numerous offices around the UK (including London, Scotland, Reading or Bristol, Leamington, Leeds, Birmingham, Shrewsbury, Knutsford, Birchwood and Newcastle), for the right candidate the location of this role can be flexible.
Work with colleagues and clients to deliver technical excellence, deliver success and innovative outcomes on projects of varying scales, building on existing client relationships and enhancing our service offering to prospective clients in an evolving market, responsibilities will also include:
* Leading client interactions and relationships and scoping individual commissions,
* Preparing proposals, negotiating with clients and the regulator and managing projects and subcontractors;
* Managing and authoring Environmental Permit applications, associated technical reports and supporting other regulatory submissions;
* Managing and delivering projects of varying scale and complexity;
* Building relationships with colleagues and clients, spotting new business opportunities and converting these into projects;
* Working alone and in multi-skilled technical delivery teams to deliver high standards of compliance on our projects;
* To work with others in the wider Wood team to support business development and proposal writing activity, in order to secure and deliver strategic and major infrastructure projects.
Skills / Qualifications
Working within a well-established team of permitting and regulation specialists, the successful candidate will have demonstrable experience, leading and delivering regulatory and compliance services to clients in the combustion, energy and waste sectors working on projects of varying scales and complexities.
* You will have a relevant first degree (or equivalent) in science and /or engineering and preferably a relevant second degree (or equivalent);
* You will have awareness of the environmental issues and commercial challenges facing clients in the combustion, power and waste sectors (and industry more broadly), together with a detailed understanding of relevant legal and regulatory regimes;
* You will have competence and capability in determining regulatory compliance requirements for projects and identifying innovative solutions that meet client and the Regulator’s requirements;
* You will have an analytical mind and a technically robust understanding of combustion, energy and waste treatment technologies and innovative technologies emerging in these sectors, gained through experience acquired in operations, consultancy and / or regulation;
* You will have detailed, practical understanding of the legal and regulatory requirements for the sectors outlined above and in particular Installation and Waste Management Environmental Permitting;
* You will have demonstrable experience managing and authoring Installation and Waste Management Environmental Permit applications and Best Available Techniques assessments and justifications for projects of varying scales and complexities;
* You will be self-motivated, organised with demonstrable experience working within industry and waste sectors; and
* You will be confident in your verbal and written communication skills with experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
* Full UK driving license
It would be beneficial if the applicant has the following skills:
* Demonstrable experience undertaking environmental risk assessments and interpreting emissions impact modelling data;
* Experience in developing environmental management systems to address regulatory requirements, developing tools to support compliance and/or compliance assessment/ auditing;
* Experience in authoring appropriate inputs to support Planning Consent applications, Environmental Impact Assessments and Development Consent Order applications;
* Experience in authoring proposals and supporting business development activities; and
* Practical experience of business and project management systems.
We are also interested in applicants with experience delivering similar services in the oil and gas sectors, and delivering/supporting Permit applications for water discharge, combustion and construction related activities, together with auditing and compliance assessment experience.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.