about 1 year ago
Role Title and Location: Environmental Project Engineer – Shock, Vibration and Climatic Environments
Job Ref No:P6749
MBDA Level of role: Level 3 or Level 4
Reports to: Project Team Lead
An opportunity has arisen within the Environmental Engineering and Facilities (EE&F) department for a Project Engineer to lead packages of work and provide environmental technical expertise to the wider project teams.
Environmental Project Engineers within EE&F hold integral roles within all land, sea and air based weapons system projects. They provide a key technical focal point for all stages of the product lifecycle, from concept definition and product development, through design aid and formal qualification, and into in-service support. Their expertise cover areas such as; environmental requirement definition and management, data analysis, simulation and modelling, and in-house testing (climatic, mechanical (shock and vibration), structural and fatigue).
* As an Environmental Project Engineer you will expected to work closely and build relationships with our Systems Engineering and Design teams on your particular projects.
* You will provide technical expertise in generating environmental requirements, developing robust product designs and defining and managing cost effective test strategies throughout the product development cycle. You will work closely with our existing team of highly experienced project and test engineers to define and manage test programmes.
* The role may also be extended to provide opportunities for future career progression to include technical management of a small team, leading delivery of all environmental engineering tasks on a specific programme.
Key accountabilities include:
* Providing technical expertise in defining the environmental requirements for a product to cover all aspects of in-service life, and developing the corresponding proving plans in support of product development and formal qualification.
* Providing an assessment of the robustness of product design against all relevant environmental requirements.
* Providing technical expertise to MBDA projects and sub-contract design authorities on environmental test methodology, test processes, test facilities and instrumentation.
* Developing test plans, including specified test levels, for the complete product and for its sub-systems, whilst maintaining overall consistency with environmental engineering policies and standards.
* Providing expertise in the measurement and analysis of operational environments, including field trials, in support of requirement development for shock, vibration and climatic effects.
* Writing technical assessment and test reports to demonstrate that a product has met the relevant environmental requirements.
* Responsibility for technical management of assigned tasks to meet project milestones to timescale and cost.
* Maintaining and developing effective relationships with internal department teams (test, data analysis and structures), systems and design teams and external customers.
What’s in it for you?
* Experience the satisfaction of ensuring our equipment is designed and developed to meet the operational need of our customers, thus ensuring MBDA’s international reputation
* You will be involved in a range of programmes for land, sea and air applications, with an opportunity to be hands-on with the products and equipment.
* This role has the opportunity to develop from an Environmental Engineer into a Technical Lead, Team Leader or Technical Expert
* You will have the opportunity and support to qualify for professional Incorporated or Chartered Engineer status.
* You will be involved across the full missile/weapon system life-cycle, from early design concept to final qualification
* Opportunities exist to develop European language skills and work on multinational programmes, with the potential for European travel in support of these programmes.
* The Environmental Engineering team offers the opportunity to work in our specialist test facilities, which have the ability to simulate combined climatic and mechanical environments. The climatic facilities can simulate solar radiation, humidity, salt mist and sea spray, rain/water spray and low air pressure (altitude). Mechanical test facilities include thirteen electromagnetic shaker systems for vibration, bump and shock testing, a temperature-controlled centrifuge for sustained acceleration testing up to 100g and impressive structural and fatigue test rigs.
What’s great about the team?
* You will be working with real missile hardware, addressing a range of challenging tasks
* You will maintain a strong link to the ‘hands on’ practical side of engineering
* You will be contributing to the design and certification of equipment and systems
* You will be defining and supporting design, test and proving activities from unit level up to the full missile systems.
* You will have opportunities to make a significant input to the design of products.]You will be contributing in a friendly and supportive team of engineers that have a wide range of knowledge, skills, experience and interests.
What are we looking for?
* Ideally educated to degree level or with strong experience in managing projects in a laboratory environment.
* Working experience of Environmental Engineering, ideally within the defence sector
* Thorough understanding of vibration, shock, temperature and humidity environments
* Understanding of environmental test processes, test measurements and instrumentation
* Good verbal and written communication abilities
* Proven analytical and problem solving skills
* Effective at working in teams with strong interpersonal skills
* Strong ability to push through the correct technical solution.
* Driven, self-motivated and proactive in managing programmes of work
* Knowledge of signal processing techniques, including derivation of Fatigue Damage Spectra (FDS) and Maximum Response Spectra (MRS) analysis, would be beneficial.
* Relevant experience of environmental defence standards.
* Experience of environmental testing (vibration, shock, temperature and humidity) would be beneficial.
What would you get?
Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note thatin order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.