6 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide system safety and environmental management skills to external and internal clients and to assist in the development of business growth.
The primary output for this role will be provision of environmental management expertise to deliver defined artefacts in support of projects to our clients. A background in Safety Engineering will be a significant advantage in this role.
Artefact production will cover the whole range of Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS) documentation for platforms in a variety of domains, and the applicant should possess analytical skills to examine evidence to support factual statements and mitigation recommendations. Ability in the use of relevant tools and techniques together with excellent report writing skills is essential for the delivery of output.
The role will predominantly be working for project delivery teams requiring safety and environmental management support. In order to deliver output, the successful candidate will need to be flexible to work in a variety of supporting roles, and be prepared to travel to meet customer and internal business needs.
There will also be a requirement to support and supervise others delivering projects.
- Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks
- Getting the buy-in of other SMEs to the job holder’s preferred methods/solutions
- Delivering solutions to meet different customers’ requirements in parallel
- Working within a geographically dispersed team
- Understand and work within the regulatory authority policy boundaries, offering advice and guidance to other QinetiQ business areas and customers alike.
- Develop new and nurture existing business relationships both internally and externally.
- Support and mentor new team members and to help grow the capability
- Ensure that work tasks are delivered to the specified time, cost, required quality standards and any other specifications given.
- Provide recommended solutions to problems that are defensible, auditable and which will meet customers’ expectations and needs
- Support time estimates for inputs to bids;
- Manage other resources within the project to ensure quality of output and timeliness.
- Work collaboratively with Project Managers and Capability Managers to meet the customers’ needs
- Ensure that all work performed is consistent with QinetiQ Compliancy Procedures
- Explore and develop potential business opportunities within the existing and potential customer base.
- Develop and maintain effective technical networks with customers.
-Support other activities where skills and experience is considered appropriate.
Successful outcomes of this role:
- Provision of verbal and written technical advice to the Customer as tasked by Project Managers and Capability Managers.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
- Engineering degree or equivalent.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Analytical and logical thinking skills consistent with those associated with the successful completion of a degree in mathematics, science or technology; also the job holder must have conceptual flexibility and be able to think in an integrated/holistic /systematic manner.
- Good judgement for reliably identifying and managing opportunities and risks, and also for selecting the most appropriate solution from a range of options.
- Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills to obtain relevant and accurate information from others.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- A collaborative willingness to take the lead and influence/persuade others to align to a particular course of action.
- Good team working and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge and experience in working with the regulatory authority organisations.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
- An enthusiastic, outgoing , proactive ,success orientated approach.
- Job holder is expected to travel regularly in the UK including overnight stays.
- Seek guidance form others when in doubt and advise/support others where the expertise is considered to be SQEP.
- Chartered status
- Masters' Degree in Safety and/or environmental management related discipline
This role can be based at QinetiQ sites at Farnborough, Boscombe Down, Bristol or Malvern. Other sites will not be considered.