about 1 month ago
Environmental GIS Consultant - Bath
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities alike. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.
Environmental GIS Consultant - Bath
We strive to offer our employees a real purpose at work; to be part of a global community that is shaping the future of our built environment.
We work within a multi-disciplinary environmental group, with consultants in environmental impact assessment, ecology, waste and air quality, and many other environment-related disciplines. We advise on issues such as biodiversity protection, climate change resilience, waste management and pollution, often in a pre-development capacity where we have the opportunity to positively influence the outcomes of projects at the planning phase.
More about this role:
As an Environmental GIS Consultant within the Ecology team, you will work on a variety of projects across the world, ranging from regional strategic planning assessments to urban renewal schemes and mixed-use developments.
Whilst this role sits within the Ecology team, we work within a multi-disciplinary environmental group. Thus this role provides an opportunity for someone at the beginning of their environmental career to gain experience and work across disciplines, becoming involved in a range of environmental and ecological topics with a view to protecting and enhancing the natural environment, and improving the way that people live and connect with it.
What would I do?
In this role, you will be responsible for GIS mapping and analysis, preparing PowerPoint presentations using graphics and imagery, conducting environmental research, analysing and interpreting the data, and preparing constraints analyses and reports. This will include:
* Compiling geographic data, analysing mapped information, and utilising site data in a range of GIS applications.
* Environmental data interpretation for projects including habitat and sensitivity mapping and constraints analysis.
* Technical report writing including contributing to environmental impact assessments.
* Carrying out desk studies, research and analysis.
* Preparation of presentations in PowerPoint incorporating GIS maps and infographics
* Attendance at meetings and workshops
What can you bring to the role?
We are looking for someone at Consultant or experienced Graduate level with an interest in Ecology/Geography that has the following skills:
* Competent in the use of GIS mapping and remote sensing software to present environmental data, including data capture and analysis, remote sensing and analysis of vegetation indices
* Ability to interpret GIS information on a large scale to inform constraints analyses and environmental impact assessments
* Ability to create PowerPoint presentations using infographics/imagery to show complex data visually
* Excellent research and writing skills
* Excellent attention to detail
* Possess initiative and a positive attitude
* Ability to work to tight deadlines and adapt to clients’ changing needs
* Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, comfortable working independently as well as within an interdisciplinary multi-cultural team
* In addition, some experience in AutoCAD would be beneficial but not essential as training can be provided.
* Degree in Geography, Ecology, GIS or similar.
* Preferably a member of a professional body such as CIEEM, IEMA or RGS.
Whilst the role primarily involves working from home at present, in the longer term it is envisaged that this will extend to a mix of home and office working. This would ideally be from the Bath office but we are open to considering other options in the UK for the right candidate.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.