16 days ago
Requisition ID: 236149
Requisition Posting End Date: 07/09/2021
Bechtel have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Advisor for a 12 month period
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
HS2 will form the backbone of the UK’s transport network, connecting eight out of ten of Britain’s largest cities. By making it easier to move between the south, midlands and north, cutting many journeys by half, HS2 will make it easier for people to live and work where they want.
HS2 is expected to generate around £92 billion in benefits to the UK economy, helping Britain compete on the global stage by increasing economic growth, productivity and tourism and supporting hundreds of thousands of jobs. • HS2 trains will stop at more than 25 stations, connect 30 million people with faster, easier and more reliable travel, and open up an array of new work, business and leisure opportunities.
HS2 will transform journey times and significantly increase rail capacity. It will free up space on the existing network for more local services and freight, taking lorries off the roads. Upgrading the existing network instead of building HS2 would not deliver enough new capacity, cut journey times like HS2 or deliver the wider economic benefits of the new line. It would also cause widespread disruption to existing passengers for many years.
HS2 will be integrated into the existing rail network as well as Northern Powerhouse Rail proposals. Local Authorities are planning to improve local transport networks to take advantage of the extra connectivity HS2 will bring.
The Environment Adviser will work within the Hybrid Bill Directorate (HBD) Technical Team to provide the environmental input in support of the successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2b Western Leg of HS2 through Parliament.
The Hybrid Bill Delivery Directorate is primarily responsible for the passage of hybrid Bills through parliament with a secondary function of supporting the wider business is all matter relating to obtaining and applying the powers and consents required to build the new railway. An immediate priority for the HBD is supporting the production, introduction and successful passage of the hybrid bill for Phase 2b (Western Leg) of HS2 through Parliament in line with HS2 Ltd and Government objectives. Phase 2b (Western Leg) of HS2 is the section of HS2 from the Crewe to Manchester. The Technical team is responsible for providing the necessary specialist engineering and environmental support to the Directorate to support the promotion of the Bill, its additional amendments and other consenting processes. The Environmental Adviser will be responsible for supporting the identification and assessment of the key environmental issues and risks from petitions and assist in the delivery of workstreams to address them, including by developing proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
The role requires travel, primarily along the line of route, and remote working will be required to meet key stakeholders. The role also requires attendance at public engagement events outside normal working hours.
No direct budget but jointly responsible for management of c£250m petition management contingency against a project cost and a project cost risk of several billion pounds. Decisions have indirect impact of high value.
• Other Technical Team colleagues including Engineering and Traffic & Transport specialists.
• Land & Property, ID and Phase 1 colleagues in support of bill management on a daily basis and by a mix of email, telephone and face to face meetings.
• Department for Transport Bill Team and wider High Speed Rail Group colleagues in support of bill management, on a daily basis and by a mix of email, telephone and face to face meetings.
• Legal team (barristers and specialist Parliamentary Agents) in support of bill management, on a daily basis and by a mix of email, telephone and face to face meetings.
• Petitioners, in order to resolve petitions, on a daily basis and by a mix of email, telephone and face to face meetings.
• Providing an essential expert environmental input, requiring extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across HS2 Ltd as well as providing environmental support to petition management teams to help facilitate engagement and negotiations with petitioners and to defend the project in Select Committee.
Health and safety
• Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the day-to-day delivery of this role – by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 Safe at Heart programme principles.
• Co-operate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
• Advocate and promote HS2 Ltd’s well-being strategy and policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
Supporting the development of expert environmental input required to support the passage of the bill through Parliament, including the process of environmental impact assessment, production of Additional Provision Environment Statements and Supplementary Environment Statements.
• Identify and assess the key environmental issues and risks from petitions and develop and lead workstreams to address them, including by developing proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
• Support the preparation of environmental advice, materials and documentation for petition management meetings and engagement events, including Select Committee exhibits and Q&As for lead witnesses.
• Attend meetings with petitioners to understand concerns and priorities and to identify solutions that deliver local benefits whilst being acceptable to HS2 Ltd and Government.
• Attend external engagement meetings and events, serving as an advocate of HS2 and promoting the benefits of the design and route, engaging with and influencing a variety of external stakeholders, such as MPs and local residents.
• Ability to technical support and convey technical information.
• Ability interface coordinate internal stakeholders from a number of technical and non-technical disciplines.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders.
• Ability to prepare and present Board Papers and take change items through governance.
• Ability to communicate, engage a variety of external stakeholders including the DfT as well as petitioners.
• Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders.
• Ability to distil complicated information and identify creative and practical solutions to complex issues
• Strong written and spoken communication skills.
• Strong team management, planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
Degree in a subject related to the environment.
• Member of a relevant environmental/built environment body (e.g. IEMA, RTPI, etc.).
• Demonstrable knowledge of environmental technical disciplines.
• Knowledge and understanding of GIS.
• Knowledge of assessment processes, and UK and EU environmental legislation and regulations.
• Understanding of engineering and environmental interfaces.
• Understanding of undertaking public engagement and consultations.
Type of experience:
• Demonstrable experience of completing environmental planning activities within an infrastructure project.
• Knowledge and experience of project/office related software. (Office, eB, Sharepoint, CRM, G-Viewer) or equivalent.
• Significant experience of writing and preparing responses, reports and other documentation to be reviewed by peers.
The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with HS2 company values.
• Makes technical decisions within defined guidelines and principles. Makes
decisions in respect of prioritising and delivering day to day tasks, with overall objectives set by the line Manager.
The following decisions are referred for approval:
• Escalates certain complex decision making to the Environmental Manager, and
may provide input to decision making.
What we offer
At Bechtel we offer a competitive salary package with the opportunity for flexible working to achieve greater work-life balance. Employee wellbeing is at the centre of our business and Bechtel is committed to offering you the benefits and resources to live healthy lives. We can offer:
Private Medical Coverage
Life Insurance Program
Employee Assistance Program
Long Term Disability Scheme
Bechtel’s Vision, Values and Covenants commit us to the ideals of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust, and collaboration, among others. These values help define our culture, our way of doing business, and the positive impact we aspire to make in the world through our people and projects. At our project sites and offices, we have many colleagues from different nationalities, religions, and backgrounds working together to accomplish amazing things.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.