about 1 month ago
Engineering Technician - Renewable Energy Infrastructure
Competitive salary and benefits package, including 23 days holiday and pension.
Do you want your work to make a difference? Do you enjoy being part of an inclusive team where respect for people is a priority? Then Sweco is the place to be.
We are currently looking for a talented and motivated Engineering Technician to join our Renewable Infrastructure team. The role will suit an Engineering Technician who will assist in the delivery of civil infrastructure design packages for renewable energy projects. The projects include onshore wind, the land-based works for offshore wind and other renewable energy projects. The design packages include on-site access and off-site public road modifications incorporating geometry design, watercourse crossings and sustainable drainage design. An interest in developing multidisciplinary knowledge is desirable and will assist supporting environmental, geotechnical, structural disciplines to enable delivery of site investigations, environmental impact assessment services, turbine foundation, bridges and control buildings packages. The position is within an established and successful team of engineers and technicians who have developed a market leading position within the renewables sector. Sweco would support attainment of civil engineering qualifications and attendance at a suitable college or university course on a day release basis during the academic term. The individual would be in a position to target the ICE development objectives from the outset and would be allocated a mentor to support this. The role includes:
* Support the production of design packages for concept, tender and detailed design phases of renewable energy projects relating to:
* Wind, transmission or other renewable energy project infrastructure access design with consideration of buildability, electrical component transport standards, environmental constraints and statutory approvals;
* Site layout and route options for the concept design for planning approval and environmental impact assessment purposes;
* Bridge and retaining structure geometry considering structural form and flooding levels and coordination of geotechnical and structural design;
* Catchment assessments, culvert hydraulic design including authorisations;
* Sustainable drainage design for rural or urbanised sites including consultation and authorisation with statutory consultees;
* Public highway design concepts or detailed design including geometry, drainage, signs, markings, swept-path analysis, considering pavement design and development of construction details for temporary or permanent modifications related to facilitating electrical component delivery including road authority consultation and consent;
* Assist the preparation of tender submission packages including multi-disciplinary design statements and presentation drawings;
* Assist with compilation of as-built drawings and records.
* From design concept to detailed stage, be aware of health, safety and environmental hazards. Work with the project team, contractor or developer clients to continually develop own knowledge of project life cycle hazards, risk and mitigation.
* Be the point of contact for our clients for selected work packages and join and contribute to client project meetings when needed;
* Implement relevant company project management framework quality processes;
* Maintain awareness and support the attainment of financial targets relating to personal billing ratio;
* Seek guidance and feedback from colleagues when needed whilst maintaining ownership of work tasks to assist in driving forward their timely and accurate completion.
* Develop capability to present, discuss and develop own technical work to assist its checking and approval;
* Participate and contribute to regular team meetings.
To be successful in this role you’ll possess some knowledge of and a desire to develop some of the following:
* Creation of engineering drawings using AutoCAD software;
* Modelling and analysis of linear type construction using Civils 3D modelling software.
* Design using pipe network, attenuation system and culvert modelling software;
* Knowledge and ability to apply DMRB and local road standards in order to assess or develop access solutions;
* Ability to produce concise engineering drawings or high-quality presentation drawings, technical reports and calculations.
Professional Membership and Qualifications:
* HND or HNC in Civil Engineering or similar qualification.
* Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required;
* Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales are met;
* Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions;
* The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members and to produce reports in clear English;
* Take responsibility for personal development by drawing on the experience and feedback of colleagues;
* Project a professional image to clients and colleagues;
* Ability to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues and clients;
* Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate.
* Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery.
What's in it for you?
An open and friendly environment where colleagues are encouraged to grow and develop. A meaningful job where you’ll help to develop and shape tomorrow’s communities by being a trusted consultant to our clients. We are always open to a conversation around flexible working.
Interview: Skype or Zoom
If you believe you have the skill set required, are keen to join a business with genuine opportunities for career progression, then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us …….
Approachable and committed people are the core our business. Serving our clients in challenging projects is part of our daily work. Continuous development of your expertise is not an option but a requirement.
Sweco plans and designs the communities and cities of the future. Our work produces sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure and access to electricity and clean water. With 16,000 employees in Europe, we offer our clients the right expertise for every situation. We carry out projects in 70 countries annually throughout the world. Sweco is the leading engineering and architecture consultancy in Europe, with sales of approximately SEK 18.7 billion (EUR 1.8 billion). The company is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Sweco is committed to achieving equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.