8 months ago
Job number: UK15211
Company/Division: Power Transmission Distribution
Career area: Project Management
UK, East Midlands, Derby
About the role
Balfour Beatty is recruiting for an Engineering Planner to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Derby. This office is responsible for distribution projects and this particular role will focus on the engineering schedule to support a number of major cabling projects.
We are looking for an experienced P6 Planner from an engineering background. While exposure to projects within the power sector would be advantageous we welcome applications from candidates with experience from other sectors including; Process, Pharmaceutical, Gas & Water.
This is an office-based role that includes pre-construction planning as well as the delivery of live projects. You will work a number of projects simultaneously and there will be a requirement to visit site. Due to the remote location of some projects you will need a full driving licence.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:
* Support the planning and monitoring of all engineering activities within the project programmes.
* Ensure the delivery of weekly and monthly programme reports in line with the project reporting timetable.
* Understand the proposed work scope, quantity and familiar with logical sequences in terms of engineering, manufacturing and construction disciplines.
* As required conduct field scoping to clarify scope.
* Understand WBS structure its use, and work with engineering management and project team in the development of work break down structure for accurate progress measurement, scheduling ,cost estimating and project control.
* Prepare and manage overall master schedule integrating work breakdown structure using P6 scheduling software.
* Have a good understanding of contractual matter, earn value methodologies , familiar with scope management and engineering change control.
* Be able to coordinate schedules from multiple engineering diciplines and incorporate the information gathered into the overall project master schedule.
* Prepare resource loaded schedules using P6 considering all inputs (Interdisciplinary manpower) availability, production and engineering sequences.
* Develop work methodology statement to support bidding team.
* Understand and able to utilize planning tools such as MS excel, Access, MS Project, Primavera.
* Develop and update resource (manpower and equipment) histogram weekly or monthly as required.
* Evaluate allocation of resources and provide recommendations to maintain required progress.
* Develop and implement plan versus actual progress charts (histograms/S curves). Reports and analyses deviations from plan.
* Track, monitor and forecast progress of all activities and deliverable such as products, engineering documents , fabrication status and construction of all discipline.
* Analyze gaps between the planned and actual progress and highlight the areas of concern which required action of the associate task member.
* Prepare and update three weeks and three months look-ahead schedule that reflect the priority activities
* Liaises with all team leaders and/or members within engineering to communicate required completion dates and interface between functional team/operational team and project team.
* Participate in all engineering coordination meeting ( i.e schedule review meeting, progress meeting, coordination meeting, constructibility review meeting).
Who we're looking for
You will have the following experience and qualities:
* Working knowledge of Primavera
* Understanding of Power Transmission projects not essential
* Demonstrable knowledge of design office scheduling preferred
* Knowledge of Project Management methodology
* Proven ability in working with operational teams to capture real time progress
* Experience working in an NEC3 contract environment
* Ability to apply change management processes
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.