about 1 month ago
We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
From complexity comes simplicity. From better thinking, better solutions.
Are you an Engineering Manager passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
About the role
As part of delivering the Core Valley Lines (CVL) Transformation, part of the Wider Wales & Borders project, we are seeking to recruit an Engineering Manager to provides engineering leadership for work packages within an overall programme of works.
The Engineering Manager will also be responsible for managing and integrating the engineering resources to support the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary design and implementation work packages, to programme and to the required quality.
Whilst initially the role will be focused fulltime on the CVL Transformation, you will join Amey Consulting and have future opportunity to work as part of delivering the wider Amey Consulting’s portfolio. Amey is proud to support flexible working, particularly in the current climate. Whilst the project office is based in Treforest, South Wales, we would encourage applications from those based elsewhere in the UK.
In a typical week you will:
• Ensure that staff are competent and, where necessary, licenced to undertake the level of engineering required on the programme, including discipline specific Responsible Engineers (REs)
• Recruit, train and mentor staff within their area of professional excellence to meet the competency requirements identified by the Technical Directors
• Ensure that the work package has defined competency requirements
• Lead on the Engineering management of individual multi-disciplinary work packages within the programme
• Monitor and ensure continuous improvement of the performance of REs within the programme
• Lead on innovation and promotion of best practice
• Work with the Programme Engineering Manager to plan and grow the level of engineering resource necessary to support the programme, including identifying and assessing key suppliers
• Liaise with the Programme/Project Managers ensure that resource requirements are understood and can be met by the team or external supply chain.
• Support Recruitment and Retention Strategies.
Client Relationship Management
• Continuously engage with the technical areas of our clients’ business to get feedback on our technical delivery and capability within the programme
• Act as the principal point of contact for engineering matters associated with a specific work package
Technical Excellence & Continuous Improvement
• Work with the Regional Engineering Directors, Discipline Leads, and other Managers across Amey, to develop and implement continuous improvement on multidisciplinary projects
• Continuously engage with the technical areas of our clients’ business to get feedback on our technical delivery and capability.
• Support the Technical Directors in developing Amey’s understanding of the client’s existing and future needs, and solutions to meet those
• Promote Amey’s professional / technical excellence with existing clients Report on technical aspects of the programme in line with business objectives
We want to hear from you if:
• Sufficient Engineering Management experience of Operational Telecoms Networks rail projects
• Diploma in management or proven successful track record in general management
• Full Driving Licence - some travel and work away from home may be required
• BSc/BEng, or MSc/MEng
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineer
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
• Competitive salary
• Exceptional development and progression plan
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
• Discretionary Bonus Scheme
• Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
• Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges. You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count.
You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.