10 months ago
Engineering Manager (C&S)
Requisition ID :2019-59577
Work Location :GB-Cumbria-Whitehaven
Department / Discipline : Project Engineering
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an Engineering Manager to join Wood’s Decommissioning business, to be based in our Westlakes office in Cumbria near to Cumbria, North West.
The Decommissioning business provides design, engineering, construction and project management services for major clients across the civil nuclear industry, including Cumbria, North West and LLWR.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you, as an Engineering Manager to support a range of interesting and challenging projects in one or more areas.
* To provide technical management of a project portfolio and the provision of SQEP resources to meet the cost, programme and quality requirements of the defined tasks and deliverables.
* To be responsible for the delivery of technical solutions that are value engineered, constructible and meet all appropriate regulatory requirements
* To be the principal focal point for liaison with Client Engineering Management Personnel
* To support all business processes, engineering systems, configuration management, nuclear and conventional safety, quality and output.
* To support the Project Manager to achieve project delivery and interface with the client’s PEM
* To ensure compliance to Wood/JV internal procedures, client Technical Standards, procedures and British/European/International standards as appropriate
* This person must be capable of working without direct supervision and have the ability to translate a client requirement into a meaningful engineering solution
* Maintain an overview of the projects and provide direction on project process, communications and consistency of approach
* Promote a good working relationship between the Client and the business
* Good communication and negotiation skills are essential and the aptitude to drive a team of engineers is crucial. Engineering design experience is fundamental as is nuclear experience
* Provision of leading technical expertise valued by clients, being a recognised authority in specialised areas and maintaining ‘front edge’ capability in developing techniques and standards within area of expertise
* Provision of cost effective engineering solutions and high quality customer service
* Proactively providing mentoring and training for staff as required for the benefit of the project and business
* Maintaining and developing customer relationships, through reputation, knowledge, experience and excellent delivery, to encourage follow on and new work within the skill area, to promote future business
* To lead multiple discipline teams having responsibility for quality oversight and governance through execution of designated work packages within defined projects to standards of safety, cost, quality and time
* To manage, supervise, monitor and develop the team to ensure effective outputs
* To support development of the local engineering capability – specifically C&S engineering
* Detailed knowledge of safety systems, HAZOP/HAZCON and engineering substantiation
* Supporting engineering input of the bidding process, including task and deliverable identification
* Supporting Substantiation and review of existing designs
* Assists in the management of projects, setting standards for the team which reflect good and safe practice, ensuring resource (financial and people) and information allocations are sufficient to complete specified tasks
* Freedom of action to make independent decisions but within well established and clearly defined policies
* Compliance with all legislative, regulatory and company policy, standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role
* Provide advice and guidance on issues to the Engineering/Project team
* Active involvement in improvement initiatives/projects
* To ensure the Design Intent is met for the design packages produced
* To identify major technical uncertainties and provide suitable solutions and advice
* To integrate and communicate effectively with other disciplines
Skills / Qualifications
Knowledge and Experience
* Demonstrable experience of complex engineering delivery in the nuclear industry
* Engineering and Project Management expertise and a background of Civil and Structural design
* Extensive experience of Cumbria, North West Ltd site, customer and engineering systems and procedures
* Extensive knowledge of engineering standards, equipment and engineering developments, including manufacturing and construction issues, within areas of expertise
* Proven track record, demonstrating the ability to manage design packages and teams
* Detailed knowledge of national and international codes, specifications and standards
* Development of designs against Safety Case requirements and Engineering Design Safety Principles
* Experience of design delivery using the Cumbria, North West Ltd Management System preferred
* Familiar with DM Desktop and Cimage, Registration of Drawings and Cumbria, North West procedures and processes
* Willing to work for a variety of customers and to work on client premises as required
* Degree qualified or equivalent (eg HNC/HND with significant experience) in relevant engineering discipline with design experience
* Chartered Status or degree qualified with extensive experience and working towards Chartership
* SC level clearance
* Ideally a current P4 Pass Holder
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.