8 months ago
The technology and systems expertise offered by Thales’s Transportation team powers safe, reliable and efficient services to rail networks the world over. In the UK, we deliver advanced signalling, supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information systems for urban rail, mainline rail and road networks. And as we continue to grow our business, we need more talent to join us in making our cities better connected.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To provide delivery leadership and co ordination to multiple multidisciplinary workstreams, direction, decision authority and support to the overall UK 4LM Programme.
To direct and manage the assigned Engineering team on programme to achieve project objectives in terms of programme schedule, financial and quality targets.
To ensure that the Engineering Processes are applied correctly and appropriately on the programme to company, legislative, regulatory and international standards.
This role will include includes significant Leadership and Management responsibility for engineering strategy and direction on the project and will have both direct line and indirect management responsibilities for significant
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* The list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide as to the expected duties of the grade.
* Defining and delivering the strategy, plan, key milestones and implementation of the overall Engineering Solution for the Programme and individual Projects within the assigned team.
* Directing and providing overall technical and engineering leadership to the multidisciplinary team assigned within the Programme to deliver the Engineering solution to time, cost and quality.
* Ensuring the capture and clear definition of technical interfaces, dependencies, assumptions and exclusions and devolution to individual subsidiary projects. Maintaining adherence to these boundaries through the project delivery.
* Ensuring the timely and accurate production of the Requirements for the System and Subsystems and ensuring that sell-off & IVVQ of the requirements is planned, documented and achieved in a progressive and low risk manner.
* Ensuring that the Programme and individual Project’s Design and other Technical Certification is co-ordinated, complete and coherent with the delivered and installed base and can be provided for Business approval and delivery to the customer;
* Interfacing with the senior Engineering teams of the client and other external Engineering parties to ensure that the integration and migration of the overall Engineering solution within its infrastructure and associated projects is achieved
* Ensuring that approval of all Engineering deliverables can be achieved and all designs and supporting works have been developed and reviewed to the defined or appropriate processes by competent staff such that they meet the required level of quality and are free from errors and design defects and flaws.
* Supporting the Programme Director and overall Solution Engineering Manager in the management of change, variation, technical risk and opportunity, recovery and acceleration as it affects the delivery of the Engineering solution.
* Overseeing the development of cost and time estimates for assigned programme activities to meet business and customer objectives.
* Driving Engineering improvement and transformation to deliver operational excellence on the program.
* Validate the engineering delivery progress and support the accurate measurement of engineering progress of the assigned teams on the programme.
* Participating with other members of the Programme senior management team to ensure that the Programme meets its business and customer objectives.
* Ensuring that any Corrective Actions and Observations related to the engineering delivery and solution are closed in a timely and complete manner.
* Working with the Engineering Functional Teams to ensure that the Project’s Engineering team are competent, developed to their full potential, mobilised and released in a timely and planned manner.
* Supporting and assisting the Engineering Functional Teams to strengthen the businesses engineering capabilities and competencies.
Skills, experience and qualifications needed:
* Extensive multidisciplinary Engineering expertise, with specific knowledge of the London Underground domain, rail signalling & control systems and infrastructure, Systems Integration practices and the disciplines utilised on the project.
* Ability to develop, innovative and low risk practical engineering strategies to manage a complex project through its lifecycle.
* Strong knowledge and proven application of Engineering Project Delivery and processes across the full project lifecycle.
* Team leadership for very large multidisciplinary teams – with a proven ability to build and sustain good working relationships with staff, peers and managers, customers and stakeholders.
* Strong analytical skills supporting logical, effective and timely decision making.
* Strong appreciation of Safety and Safety Assurance within the Engineering discipline and Domain and working knowledge of CDM regulations.
* Familiarity with Project management and delivery processes and practices, commercial acumen and a robust approach to budget and schedule control.
* Effective personal organisation and an ability to remain composed, focused with attention to detail under pressure.
* Can manage a complex project through a defined design process and is able to tailor the businesses process suite (CHORUS2) to project needs.
* The Solution Engineering Manager is the focal point for the Engineering process on large complex projects and must be able to oversee the resolution of all issues, problems, questions and conflicts across the entire system. This requires frequent handling of new and unusual issues therefore a proven record of working across multiple disciplines and in an Engineering Management capacity on projects is required.
* The post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A professional competent outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital.
* The post holder will have previous demonstrable experience of leading the engineering delivery of large complex rail signalling projects, preferably within the London Underground environment..
* HND/Engineering Degree or equivalent
* Chartered Engineer / Member of Professional Institution