13 days ago
at Ocado Group
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“We are on a mission to transform the future of grocery retail through sustained technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast- growing company: today we have colleagues in 7 development centre across the UK and Europe, with offices open in London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Barcelona (Spain), with a satellite office in Stockholm (Sweden).
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment with inspiring projects that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
What would I be doing?
As an Engineering Manager you will report to the Head of Head of Development Services in EngProd and your role will be to support the creation of building a new team through internal and external recruitment. You will also be responsible for supporting the productivity and performance of teams.
The roles and responsibilities of this role include:
* Sharing and evolving the strategic vision of the Development Services department in the areas that you have responsibility.
* Facilitating the creation and growth of development teams by supporting recruitment activities in the department and the development centre.
* Building the effectiveness, productivity, and performance of the teams. With a focus on Agile and Lean methodologies.
* Identifying and working to remove obstacles to teams’ productivity.
* Working with the department head to build high-performance teams within a high-performing department.
* Leading great communication practices inside the team(s) and with other teams, they interact with.
* Assisting the Department Head in top down and bottom up communication, including strategic and tactical priorities.
* Driving awareness of the commercial demands of the business.
* Driving awareness of technical and behavioural standards of Ocado Technology.
* Participate in the Hatfield leadership initiatives to help the centre create the right environment and office culture.
* Coordinating our hiring, ensuring we hire great people that fit our culture.
What does the team do
Engineering Productivity (EngProd), our vision is that Development teams intuitively, and symbiotically, utilise our tools so they are as empowered, and informed, as possible in the creation and delivery of world beating solutions.
The Cloud team is powering every AWS account in the company, with direct contact to customers (other engineers in the company) our engineering teams enjoy unprecedented autonomy, huge responsibility and impossible deadlines. Automation and Client Satisfaction are our main objectives for upcoming quarters.
What we are looking for
* Experience leading a team to successfully deliver multiple significant software products/solutions
* Significant experience leading Agile/Lean practices
* Experience driving improvements in process within and beyond your team
* Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels, and significant experience in solving conflicts
* A strong bias for action and experimentation
* You relish building meaningful missions, and you engage and enthuse your teams and peers
* A strong technical background with the ability to quickly grasp complex problems
* Knowledge of cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services
* Experience in the full Software Development Life-Cycle from design to deployment
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.