7 months ago
Requisition ID :2019-64691
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Birchwood
Department / Discipline : Mechanical Engineering
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to deliver a variety of exciting bids and projects within our Nuclear business.
The role offers a unique opportunity to be part of a team which will be directly responsible for change in a highly-regulated industry and will appeal to individuals who are seeking an opportunity to lead the Engineering and Design of a major UK organisation through a truly transformational period.
This role will be based in our Birchwood office in the North West of the UK but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
About Wood Nuclear
Wood’s nuclear business is a leading player in the big science, energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
We have offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in all of the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, both internationally and in the UK, developing strong relationships with our clients and implementing cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and be committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Skills / Qualifications
* Accountable for the delivery performance of design and engineering aspects of projects in a complex, highly regulated industry
* Overall management and coordination of engineering team on the project and sub-contract organisations, and interfacing with supply chain
* Management of the technical delivery of Wood Engineering Design Integrity Workflows and compliance with technical assurance requirements
* Developing and implementing the Safety by Design strategy for specific project.
* Developing and implementing the engineering execution strategy, including preparing manhour estimates (e.g. CTRs) for large projects
* Identification of standards and specifications applicable to the project
* Engineering coordination across disciplines
* Performing appropriate engineering reviews
* Mobilising/recruiting multi-discipline engineering design teams and competence management of the project team
* Management and approval of all engineering and technical scope changes raised by the project
Skills / Qualifications
* Degree in engineering discipline or appropriate equivalent technical experience
* Good communication skills
* Experience of major engineering delivery on EPC projects
* Managing schedule performance of large technical teams
* General knowledge of key cross industry regulations and standards e.g. CDM, PED, IEC61511, DSEAR, ASME, API, EN
* Managing workshare with HVEC/ other design offices
* Understanding of leading-edge engineering systems e.g. full Aveva suite, Navisworks
* Experience of engineering in procurement, construction, commissioning phases
* Knowledge of export control compliance regulations beneficial
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.