7 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Responsible to the Group Leader/Head of Site, providing the overall engineering control of process plant, equipment and facilities at QinetiQ Fort Halstead.
• Undertake the role of Engineering Team Leader (Fort Halstead) for the assigned people, equipment and process that jointly provide the Engineering service; providing coordination, advice and ensuring that process plant, equipment and facilities are available when required to support the safe, secure and cost effective delivery of project activities in accordance with QinetiQ Engineering Policy.
• Responsible to the Group Leader/Head of Site - Fort Halstead for ensuring that that all aspects of Through Life Engineering for the process plant, equipment and associated facilities are completed in accordance with the Engineering policy and as detailed in equipment Through Life Support Strategies (TLSS).
• Ensuring that Through Life Support Strategies (TLSS) are in place for all process plant and equipment, ensuring their robustness by virtue of thorough review and approval.
• Responsible for ensuring that existing and new equipment is subject to Design Certification requirements and that equipment and facilities are baselined and documented, controlling changes to the baseline through the company Change Control process.
• Ensure that for all process plant, equipment and facilities, all associated risk assessments (e.g. PUWER) and contractual/regulatory documentation is in place and kept up to date as appropriate.
• Provide local task management of technical support personnel and teams to continually develop equipment, technologies and processes that align with business strategy and goals. In doing so, provide support to Discipline Groups and Independent Delivery Teams (IDTs) on engineering matters, supporting Hazardous Activity Management, project meetings Technical Reviews, Design Reviews and chairing Independent Design Reviews as required.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with the engineering aspects of applicable standards for quality, safety, environment and energy.
• Ensure that for all process plant, equipment and facilities, all SAP-Plant Management (SAP-PM) records are developed, and maintained to support baseline accreditation.
• Ensure that for all process plant, equipment and facilities, all Maintenance Schedules are adhered to (Statutory and Preventative), or as necessary, appropriate authorisations to defer maintenance are obtained. In doing so, oversee the maintenance of Government/Customer Furbished Equipment and compliance with associated procedures.
• Liaise with relevant stakeholders to deliver an effective schedule of maintenance and support for the process plant, equipment and facilities at Fort Halstead ensuring a continued Safe and Efficient delivery in accordance with the QinetiQ Engineering Policy.
• Oversee the FHD operational maintenance spend to ensure it remains in-line with forecast, and where variances arise, liaise with the Group Leader/Head of Site Fort Halstead to approve any changes.
• Responsible for ensuring that all work on the site is managed in accordance with the Contractor Control procedure.
• Ensure that business risks are addressed by means of local risk management and assigned staff members are familiar with site Recovery Plans, including links into business continuity arrangements.
• Provide engineering support to the Energetics Technology Enterprise as required.
• Support Bronze command, and as required, undertake the role of Incident Command (Silver) in response to Emergency Response/Management Plans.
• Ensure oversight of all Engineering Graduates/Apprentices placements whilst within business area, aligning site activities with wider training schedule
• Strong engineering and technical knowledge, preferably with a good understanding of the engineering principles associated with an explosives area or similar high hazard environment.
• Good understanding of health, safety, environmental and quality arrangements.
• Knowledge of relevant legislation, regulation, standards and guidance (Explosives Regulations, Joint Service Publications, Defence Standards etc).
• Ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with people at all levels, both internal and external to QinetiQ, including customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
• Strong diplomacy and negotiation skills with ability to influence internal and external stakeholders.
• Results-focussed with ability to accept high levels of responsibility and accountability.
• Methodical and Logical approach.
• Good level of IT competence.
• Must have driver’s license and own car.
• Subject to Security Clearances.
• Knowledge of QinetiQ’s Operating Framework, Policies and Procedures.
• Knowledge of Fort Halstead site operations, its key staff and key facilities.
Experience & Qualifications
• Technical/engineering background is essential.
• Demonstrable track record of successful engineering management in a high hazard environment
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience) in an engineering discipline.
• Charted Engineer (or equivalent) is desirable.
• IOSH qualification Managing Safely is desirable
• Experience of process/continuous improvement activities.