10 months ago
Title : Mechanical Engineer
Requisition ID :2018-28430
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Mechanical
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment
Wood Nuclear is recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer to work as the Engineering Group Lead for test piece design and manufacture to be based at Birchwood Park in Warrington.
The Group Lead is responsible for design and manufacture of Test Pieces to be used by the IVC for the procedure and personnel qualification of the post manufacture Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) of High Integrity Components (HIC) welded connections. As well as, the provision of any other equipment and facilities necessary for carrying out the validation operations.
* Responsible for the design, manufacture and procurement of Test Pieces ensuring that quality is maintained.
Developing manufacturing specifications for supply chain ensuring that the specialist requirements of Test Piece manufacture are accurately passed onto the supply chain
* Provision of cost estimates, programmes and proposals for both design and sub contract manufacture
* Implement, supervise and approve design schemes and manufacturing drawings
* Implement purchasing and procurement action and assess Contractor’s proposals and procedures.
* Responsible, during the manufacture and procurement of Test Pieces, for the resolution of technical issues, approval of drawings, approval of Manufacturing & Test Plans (MITPs), approval of Non Conformance Reports (NCRs), management of variations and control of quality.
* Responsible for the monitoring of progress and costs both within the IVC and the supply chain.
* Liaison with specialists within the IVC, the supply chain and the Client.
Skills / Qualifications
* An academic qualification in mechanical engineering, preferably degree
* membership of an appropriate professional institution or training leading to appropriate membership.
* Application of fundamental engineering principles to design and manufacture
* Knowledge of metallurgy, welding, QA and testing
* Experience of drawing office procedures and document control
* Broad engineering background
* Ability to work as a member of a team
* Energy, enthusiasm and good communication skills
* Ability to produce written reports of a technical nature
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.