30 days ago
Engineering Geologist / Geotechnical Field Engineer
Job number: BBV00309
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, West Midlands, Birmingham
About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical Field Engineer to join our team to work in Birmingham.
To ensure that the GI Fieldwork and Laboratory Testing are carried out in accordance with the requirements of the GI Contracts and Specifications, to deliver a technically sound Factual Report.
What you'll be doing
* Review Subcontractor Method Statements and Risk Assessments and makes improvements as appropriate
* Working closely with on-site Health and Safety teams.
* Guides & coaches juniors in technical requirements and techniques of Geotechnical Ground Investigations.
* Observation and assurance of subcontractor compliance with the GI technical specification and BS/EN standards for all on-site GI activities
* Implements systems and processes to support GI works in accordance with the specification (e.g. Equipment Approval, NCR, Fieldwork Changes)
* Carries out trend analysis and identifies improvement areas for non-conformance and business improvement
* Carries out Independent Safety Inspections of their own section and of others
* Carries out Site Audits to check works and documentation compliance
* Assist to draft correspondence to sub-contractors and suppliers
Who we're looking for
* Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems
* Capable of taking ownership of tasks and advise on outcomes with clarity, including managing others in this regard
* Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights.
* Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility
* Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card, SSSTS or SMSTS qualified.
* Excellent team player, able to work effectively alone, without continuous supervision
* Strong communication skills with solution orientated approach to issue resolution
* Excellent role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team goals
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
* 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
* More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
* 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
* 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
* Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.