about 1 year ago
Engineering Analyst - Structural Performance
Requisition ID :2019-61885
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Knutsford
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Structural
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment
Wood is now accepting applications for the role of Engineering Analyst, based in our Knutsford office. As an Engineering Analyst you will use computational methods to evaluate the performance and in-service behaviour of components and structures within nuclear reactors and supporting plant. Depending on the problem, this can involve the development and/or application of mathematical, statistical and engineering computer codes taking input from physical replicas and data collected at a client site. A large part of the role is having an ability to handle large amounts of data and correctly interpreting the results produced. This involves data analysis and presentation skills, and demands an understanding of both the client’s requirements and the relationship between the model and reality.
* Modelling critical client plant, such as aspects of a nuclear power station;
* Producing high-quality, maintainable software.
* Discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and customers;
* Producing high-quality technical reports on the outcome of your work;
* Checking the work of other team members;
* Interfacing with customers throughout the lifecycle of projects;
* Recognising new business opportunities and assisting with developing these;
* Working effectively as part of a team;
* Assisting in maintaining the technical capability/knowledge of the team;
* Delivering work to time, cost and quality to ensure customer satisfaction.
Skills / Qualifications
* A minimum of 2:1, ideally Master-level degree in a Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Software Development, or a related field;
* Experience and ability in programming, especially in Matlab, Python or Fortran;
* Experience and ability in mathematical modelling;
* Strong organisational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
* Strong analytical skills;
* Able to interpret the results of models, relating them to the real world;
* Ability to work in multi-disciplinary team environments and adapt to change;
* Eagerness to work and develop your career in the nuclear industry;
* The right to work in the UK;
* A full UK driving licence.
Familiarity with some of the following (we don’t expect familiarity with all):
* Nuclear power generation, especially the Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor;
* Software development, including software design, testing and version control;
* Mathematical optimisation, including linear programming;
* Inverse problems;
* Image processing;
* Finite-element analysis, including ABAQUS;
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.