about 1 year ago
About the Role
At WSP in Shropshire our primary function is to support Shropshire Council in the maintenance and improvement of Shropshire’s highway network and larger national schemes. Having recently secured funding for major highway improvement schemes, such as the Shrewsbury North West Relief Road, Oxon Link Road and the A5 Mile End Junction, we are looking to expand our team.
WSP’s office, based in the rural town of Shrewsbury, is integrated with the Client due to our longstanding relationship and collaborative working practices. The existing team provides a supporting environment and actively promotes professional development across a diverse range of interesting projects which include major projects, public realm schemes and large highway maintenance programmes.
You will be supporting the team in delivering a range projects to the highest standard, on time and within budget. You will be working with a team of multi skilled and experienced people of varying grades in a positive team environment.
This role will be client facing and you will be involved in the technical delivery of schemes from inception through to handover to the client and implementation on site.
You will be able to demonstrate a track record of delivering high quality work in either the local or national transport arena.
A typical week would include:
* Undertaking scheme investigation, feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, site inspections, data collection and analysis, and works/construction inspection and supervision.
* The preparation of technical designs in accordance with approved design procedures.
* Preparation of technical documents and drawings.
* Assisting in the preparation of technical reports
* Managing delivery of small programmes of work with minimal supervision and providing technical input to larger projects.
* Having a working knowledge of Health, Safety and Welfare and CDM responsibilities
* Take responsibility for own personal development with the support of line manager and following an agreed development plan
* Assist in the development of others
We are seeking individuals who understand our values and express commitment to them. We want our staff to strive continuously to innovate in how they perform and work with our clients and to deliver excellence.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A Degree or HNC/ HND (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering (or other relevant discipline) or have other demonstrable experience and preferably be working towards Incorporated or Chartered status of a relevant professional institution.
* You will need to demonstrate the ability to assist in the delivery of projects, technical excellence and innovation.
* Experience and knowledge in highway design projects.
* Experience and a working knowledge of relevant design standards ie Manual for Streets, DMRB.
* Experience of site supervision and knowledge of NEC conditions of contract would be desirable.
* You will be IT/computer literate and knowledge and experience of appropriate design software such as AutoCAD, MX, OpenRoads, MircoDrainage and ProjectWise would be desirable.
* Good communication skills and fluent in spoken and written English are essential.
* A full valid UK driving licence is required.
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.
Check out for more info about the great work we do.