about 1 year ago
About the Role
Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of engineering experts, all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
WSPs Local Government Discipline is a great place to work. As a world leader in civil engineering, we support Local Authorities across the length and breadth of UK, so the chances are the projects you work on will help improve your local area.
Whatever project you are involved with, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before, and with the full support of one of the largest engineering consultancies in the world you will have every opportunity to broaden your professional horizons and develop your career.
So, if you are ready to take this next step in your career, we can’t wait to hear from you!
We are seeking an experienced Senior Engineer to join our Highways Team in Leeds. You will be pivotal in driving the quality and timeliness of the service we provide and will use your knowledge and skills to deliver the right quality to time and budget.
A typical week would include:
* Undertaking scheme investigation, feasibility studies, preliminary/ detailed design, tender documents, site inspections, data collection and analysis, and works/ construction inspection and supervision.
* Preparation of technical designs, documents and drawings in accordance with approved design procedures.
* Managing the delivery of small sized projects or small programmes of work with minimal supervision.
* Applying your working knowledge of Health, Safety and Welfare and CDM responsibilities
* Contributing to technical excellence and innovation within team.
* Assisting in the development of others.
We are seeking individuals, who understand our values and express commitment to them. We want our staff to strive continuously to innovate in how they perform and work with our clients and to deliver excellence.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* A Degree or HNC/ HND (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering (or other relevant discipline), or other demonstrable experience. You will either be professionally qualified or actively working towards Incorporated or Chartered status of a relevant professional institution.
* Experience and knowledge in the design of highway and junction improvement schemes and general civil engineering projects.
* Experience and a working knowledge of relevant highway and drainage design standards, DMRB and Model Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW) and NEC3.
* Experience in preparation of Contract Documents
* Experience of Supervisor role to NEC3 would be desirable.
* IT/computer literate and knowledge and experience of appropriate design and analysis software packages such as AutoCAD, MX and WINDES would be desirable.
* Working closely with clients to understand and meet their needs.
* Good communication skills and fluent in spoken and written English are essential, including the ability to write concise reports.
* A full valid UK driving licence is required.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.