about 1 year ago
Engineer – Highways-180128
Engineer - Highways
Kier Strategic Highways are looking to recruit an Engineer to join the Highways Design Services business.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group with 88 UK offices and over 22,000 employees. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Kier Highways design roads, bridges and intelligent transport systems (ITS), covering strategic and nationally important roads, as well as local roads serving local communities. Our projects range from major improvements to complete renewals of roads and structures. With specialist teams, we manage complex works from conception through to handover at the end of maintenance periods.
To deliver technical outputs of projects or service areas to the meet the client’s brief.
* Undertake services within an engineering environment which may include (but not limited to); scheme investigation, site inspections, data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents and works/construction inspection and supervision.
* Prepare technical designs in accordance with approved design procedures.
* Prepare technical documents and drawings for checking and approval.
* Exercise independent engineering judgement and provide innovative solutions to engineering problems.
* Manage delivery of small projects or a small programme of work with minimal supervision.
* Working knowledge of Health, Safety and Welfare and CDM Responsibilities, as well as relevant company procedures.
* Ensure that delivery is achieved in accordance with the company’s systems and procedures, including those relating to SHEQ, Health and Safety, project and risk management.
* Be a proactive and collaborative team member.
* Contribute to technical excellence and innovation across the team.
* Agree delivery targets with senior staff and report regularly on progress towards milestones.
* Take responsibility for own personal development with the support of line manager, following an agreed programme.
* Assist in the development of other team members (e.g. Assistant Engineers/Graduate Engineers/Technicians).
* Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
* Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required
Key Skills and Qualifications:
* A degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
* Working towards a chartered / incorporated status of a relevant professional institution.
* Have substantial knowledge of, and experience in, design of highway improvement and maintenance schemes to UK standards.
* Experience in design of highway drainage to UK standards.
* Experience of Value Managing schemes using Highways England’s processes and procedures.
* Have a working knowledge and experience of the main management systems & processes used within a similar business.
* Experience and a working knowledge of relevant design software and standards.
* Experience of working on design and build contracts (desirable)
* Ability to act as competent designer.
* Fluent written and spoken English.
* IT Literate.
* Able to work under own initiative and to seek advice when necessary, you will have the drive and determination to meet targets.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-England-Bristol-Bristol
Job: Engineering - Construction/Civils
Organization: Kier Group UK