8 months ago
Highways Development Management (Development Control) Engineer - Hertford
Due to growth in development in the South East, we are offering the opportunity to join our expanding Development Management team working within our joint venture partnership with Arup.
We are looking for an experienced highway engineer to join us on our Client Support Term contract with Hertfordshire County Council. Working closely with County Council officers and housing developers, the role involves ensuring highway improvement works undertaken by developers are in line with the Council's required design and legal standards.
* Manage applications under the Highways Act Section 278 and Section 38 from start to finish, including managing budgets, reviewing designs, site monitoring and closing projects.
* Review developers' technical designs in accordance with approved design standards and procedures. Tasks include reviewing road geometry, junction layouts, construction details, drainage, SUDS and pedestrian and cycle facilities for developments or varying scale and complexity.
* Exercise engineering judgment.
* Foresee risks and issues and escalate or resolve as appropriate.
Key benefits of the role include:
* Interesting and varied work: you will be involved in a wide variety of projects from the design of large housing estates to the construction of new accesses - no two projects are alike.
* Responsibility and accountability: you will be the Project Engineer for the schemes assigned to you (with necessary support from Senior Engineers and other colleagues) and will have the responsibility for dealing with all aspects of the scheme. This includes undertaking site visits, meeting with developers, instructing and working with HCC's Solicitors and collaborating with Opus colleagues across the UK.
* Gain an understanding of highway and planning law, including the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
* Opportunity to network with engineers and professionals across the industry as part of the job.
* Competitive salary, benefits package, flexible working and an enjoyable working environment.
To apply for the role you will need:
* Experience in the highways sector.
* Effective time management and good organisational skills, the ability to manage a varying workload.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to influence people at all levels.
* Be working towards Chartered or Incorporated status.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for an engineer with highway design experience to further their experience in the highway sector and gain an understanding of planning and development from a highway authority perspective.
You couldn't be looking to joining us at a better time, Opus is going from strength to strength in the UK and to top it all we were voted the Number One engineering consultancy in the UK in 2016! We were awarded Company of the Year at the NCE100 Awards 2016. The awarding of this accolade was based on key competencies which the NCE considered most valuable, with Opus ranked in the top 10 in each pillar during the assessment stage. This played a large part in Opus being named Company of the Year.
At Opus we attract and retain talented people through competitive remuneration and rewarding performance. We offer a flexible benefits programme via Opus - Flex that allows you to structure your remuneration package to suit your lifestyle.
If you are keen to develop a long term career with a growing global organisation, please apply below or for more information on the career opportunities with Opus please visit the careers section of our website:
Opus is committed to a workplace that embraces equal employment opportunity & diversity. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining a professional and respectful work environment which supports mutual trust and assists each individual to reach their full potential - we therefore welcome applications from those who want part-time hours or job share opportunities.