5 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
Our Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing sustainable development infrastructure solutions from planning, through to full implementation. We are seeking to recruit an Engineer to join our team in Basingstoke.
The Development Infrastructure team specialises in providing high level advice to both public and private sector clients on planning and design issues relating to Highways, Public Realm, Signal Design, Sewerage, SUDS, Building Drainage, Earthworks, Flood Protection and Utilities Coordination/Diversion on Residential, Retail, Industrial and Commercial Developments both in the UK and overseas.
The team also works closely with other WSP disciplines and offices on high profile major multi-disciplinary projects.
All staff are encouraged and assisted to progress their training towards ICE Incorporated or Chartered status, with internal and external training opportunities provided.
A typical week would include:
* Producing high quality designs and drawings to support planning applications and construction within small teams
* Being active on a number of projects and client accounts at any given time
* Reporting to a Principal Engineer or Associate.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* A civil engineering degree (or minimum HNC in Civil Engineering) with experience in highway or drainage design
* Good post graduate experience in a civil engineering working environment
* An understanding of highway design and highway drainage principles (layout, parameters, etc.) and the ability to use one or more of the following; the design of sewers using WINDES, highways using PDS or Civil 3D (or similar software packages) together with experience in applying Highways England and Local Authority design guidance
* The ability to work effectively within a team along with good written and spoken communication skills
* The ability to produce masterplans, site appraisals and write reports to support planning applications, design calculations and construction drawings
* A good knowledge of National Planning Policy Framework and associated Technical Guidance, of the relevant design codes such as the SuDS Manual and Sewers for Adoption and DMRB – knowledge of Manual for Streets and Local Authority Design Guides would be an advantage
* The ability to prepare high quality designs for drainage and highway schemes - this will potentially include designs for Contract Documents and S278, S104 and S38 Adoption Agreements
* The ability to seek clarity of instructions, check own work before submitting for approval, agree and meet timescales for items of work as well as delegate work to junior staff.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.