8 months ago
OptaSense is a world leader in Distributed Acoustic Sensing and proud to provide vital information to help protect and secure the world's critical assets.
Drawing on decades of experience in the signal processing world, OptaSense is able to turn standard single mode telecoms fibre into a listening device up to 50km in length. OptaSense is rapidly expanding, with growth built on providing cutting edge solutions and excellent service to clients with security and monitoring requirements in tough environments. The OptaSense system has been deployed successfully worldwide and we now have operations in over 35 countries, in industries such as Oil and Gas, Transport and Security.
Join a challenging, dynamic and fast growing business with an exciting portfolio of international clients working on some of the most critical and exciting projects around the planet.
Job description/Person specification
The purpose of the Electronics Engineer is to design electronic hardware for OptaSense hardware, including PCBs, circuit elements and contributing to system-level design, ensuring the internal design and documentation processes are followed, and taking “ownership” of the design process for particular PCBs.
1. Ownership of individual PCB projects:
- Documentation of specifications, test requirements and design intent in line with design procedures
- Schematic-level design
- Liaise with mechanical design team to ensure PCB designs are compatible with physical constraints
- Liaise with Test engineer to ensure design for test is considered
- Liaise with external layout contractors to obtain designs which are functionally appropriate, and meet the mechanical requirements
- Liaise with software/firmware team to provide interfacing information for PCBs
- Produce “Production Packs” for external manufacture of boards
- Testing of prototype PCBs / systems
- Respond to technical queries from production
- Present designs/documentation for peer review in accordance with design procedures
2. Verification and development of electronic circuit designs using schematic-level simulation, optimisation of candidate designs and numerical / analytical analysis of critical circuit elements
3. Participate in design reviews in accordance with Design Procedure – both for “owned” PCB projects, and to review the work of other engineers.
4. Peer review of technical documentation (eg test procedures, review checklists, manufacturing instructions/drawings)
5. Contributing to Component Library Management
1. Strong fundamental understanding of digital & analogue electronics
2. Knowledge of signal integrity and design for EMC
3. Use of schematic capture using electronic CAD packages
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills
6. Self-motivated and able to track and complete many tasks without close supervision
7. IT literate – use of MS Office and able to use custom applications
8. Planning, prioritising and organisational abilities, drive and determination to achieve successful & timely project delivery.
9. Excellent attention to detail
10. Present a considered and professional attitude to external parties.
11. The ability to provide specialist technical guidance to colleagues with varied background / knowledge
12. Open, honest, enthusiastic team player
Experience & Qualifications:
1. Degree in relevant technical discipline: preferably Electronic Engineering.
2. Experience of Electronics Design, ideally including high-speed digital devices
3. Experience with FPGAs, high speed memory devices and fast ADCs advantageous
4. Proven ability to work successfully within design constraints.
5. Experience using electronic lab equipment to make measurements on and for test and debugging of electronic circuits