5 months ago
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Purpose of the Role:
Thales is pleased to offer this opportunity for an experienced Project Manager to join its Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance business.
This is a vital role for ISR, during an exciting time with many significant projects in the delivery phase, and a strong pipeline of forthcoming Projects in the bid phase.
The successful applicant will be expected to formally launch and drive a customer facing, complex engineering development project involving Software, Hardware and military qualification.
The principal responsibility and objective is management of bids and the end-to-end delivery of Projects, whilst ensuring that all activities and deliverables are met within the agreed terms of contract; including timescale, specifications, quality and budget, to the satisfaction of and acceptance by the customer.
Further, to achieve and maintain the highest possible level of customer satisfaction as well as to secure Thales’ interests at all times. The Project Manager has cost and allocated risk budget responsibility associated with contract fulfilment of a Project.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Taking the lead role in the Project during planning, execution and closure.
* Ensuring that Project plans and estimates for bids are appropriately developed and reviewed.
* To launch, organise, plan, document and effectively manage the execution and conclusion of all allocated projects to ensure that the projects deliver on our commitments within baselined schedule and budget consistent with Chorus 2.0 requirements
* Carrying out day-to-day activities effectively and efficiently within the framework of Thales corporate policies, directives and instructions.
* Defining, establishing, managing and leading a high performing and successful integrated Project organisation, including individual and team resource profiling.
* Providing robust leadership to build team confidence, competence and talent, and to be a mentor and role model.
* Delegating duties and responsibilities to the Project/bid organisation/team.
* Implementing, maintaining and managing all elements of project management including: integration, value, scope, quality, procurement, time, finance, human resource, risk, opportunities and communications.
* Setting and implementing of Project delivery strategies, including that required for maximizing opportunities, and to mitigate and minimize risks.
* Achieving and endeavouring to improve Project cost and working capital requirement budgets.
* Achieving and endeavouring to improve Sales, Invoicing and Cash requirements of their Project(s).
* Provide timely Reports and Escalation to Management on the progress and performance of the projects for which you take full responsibility, engaging all Project stakeholders ensuring strong communications are established and maintained
* Work as part of a campaign team to identify opportunities and position Thales to win business
* Lead bid preparation with Sales and Marketing in order to ensure that the company continues to win profitable business
* Build and maintain strong relationships with customers on allocated bids and projects, managing the customer relationship and the customer’s expectations and thus handling changes together with the requirements for the Project.
* Ensure that all Bids and Projects are correctly resourced, given clear direction, planned and fully engaged and managed to achieve efficient and timely implementation consistent with Chorus 2.0 Gates and requirements
* Work with the sub-contract management team to ensure that all sub-suppliers are fully engaged and managed to deliver their requirements within allocated budget and schedule
* Actively manage both Risk and Opportunities to achieve the best Business outcome
* Audit assessments and associated reports/actions including implementation of suitable actions.
* Ensure all company processes and any legal requirements for exporting goods and services are compliant.
* Ensure all Bid & Project activities undertaken are compliant to the company business process CHORUS 2.0.
Skills & Experience
* Experience of, and a proven track record for, delivery in a technical, complex and sizeable project environment, or delivery of a range of projects across multiple domestic and/or export customers.
* Good understanding of Project/Project Management/Bid Management including: integration, value, scope, quality, procurement, time, finance, human resource, risk, opportunities and communications.
* Ability to produce timely & succinct management reports.
* Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills and written presentation/report writing skills should be developed to management level.
* Hands-on experience that covers project control, financial reporting, budgeting, process development, quality and (desirable) lean manufacturing and environmental management.
* Engineering familiarity likely to include software, hardware and systems engineering.
* Ability to influence, network & good communication skills developed within global organisations.
* Strong administrative, organizational, managerial, leadership and team working skills.
* Effective Risk Management
* Broad commercial and financial awareness
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
* Able to develop future capability though coaching, mentoring & competency-based development of subordinates (and peers).
* Ability to work with innovation and creativity to think differently and move the business away from the norm.
* Ideally has practical experience of using Primavera.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!