about 1 month ago
Electrical Principal Design Engineer
Job number: UK17249
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, Scotland, Motherwell
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Principal Design Engineer to join our BB Kilpatrick team to work in Motherwell, Scotland.
To provide electrical system design within time and cost to meet project requirements .
Technically supporting the project to completion.
Lead the electrical design & engineering (High Voltage and Low Voltage) capability of the design & engineering team.
What you'll be doing
As an Electrical Principal Design Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
* Design electrical distribution systems up to 33kV to construction detail.
* Create and verify the following engineering documents:
* Project & Equipment Specifications (HV & LV Switchgear, Substations,
* Transformers, Battery chargers, UPS and Generators)
* Electrical Calculations (Amtech and either SKM, PSS, ERACS or ETAP) including
* Cable, Earthing, Transient, Short Circuit, Load flow & Protection
* Reports and Plans including Design Plans, Operating Philosophies, Functional
* Design Specifications, Basis of Design, and, Acceptance testing plans & reports.
* Detailed installation drawings including Single Line, Block Cable, Termination,
* Earthing and Layout drawings
* Input to SCADA, instrumentation, control and monitoring specifications and design.
* Review and check manufacturer document / information for electrical compliance with project specifications.
* Provide strong technical support and identify innovative and robust solutions.
* Develop and maintain relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers.
* Mentor engineers (direct reports) and develop technical knowledge of the wider team.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
* Clear focus on collaboration and building relationships with other designers and Project teams to deliver cost effective and acceptable design solutions.
* Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and write clearly and succinctly
* Promote innovation and continuous improvement in design.
* Excellent IT Skills are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential. Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material.
* Experience in a broad range of heavy industries such as Petrochemical, Power Generation and Nuclear.
* Must have experience of at least one electrical system calculation software package such as SKM, ERACS, IPSA, PSS or ETAP.
* Ideally Charted Engineer with suitable qualifications such as Honours or Masters degree.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to 2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.