about 1 month ago
Base Location: Perth or Dundee
Salary: £25,421 - £37,650 depending on skills and experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time, 37 hours per week | Working Differently Available
About the Department
SSE Power Distribution, part of the SSE group, owns and operates two electricity distribution networks and one transmission network, comprising some 123,000 substations and 127,000km of overhead lines and underground cables, distributing electricity to 3.5 million homes and businesses in the North of Scotland and Southern England.
What is the Role?
As an Electrical Fitter, you’ll work on all maintenance aspects of our electricity switchgear and plant up to and including 33kV. This is a field-based role with responsibility for maintaining power systems including, switchgear, transformers, busbars, relay panels and other associated equipment. To do this, you’ll utilise your strong communication skills to manage expectations with regards to arranging shutdowns with large businesses, regional councils, highway agencies amongst other stakeholders.
It can be a very demanding role and involve working outdoors in all weather conditions, however it offers a great grounding in utilities with many of our existing Senior Managers starting as Electrical Fitters. Training and development will be on offer to get you fully authorised up to 33kV and you will also be required to participate in standby duties for fault restoration work when authorisations have been gained. Finally, as we work in a regulated business, you’ll hold a pivotal role in ensuring that our network complies with current and future regulatory rules (RIIOED1).
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- Demonstrable experience of working on the electrical distribution network, ideally dealing with LV and HV plant maintenance.
- Senior Authorised Person (SAP) permit up to 11kV would be advantageous, however not essential as training and development will be provided. Applicants that already have SAP status at 11kV will be considered for the role at SSE Grade 5.
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority.
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high-level service.
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities.
- A full driver’s licence is required, with a towing licence and NRSWA ticket being advantageous.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
All applications should be submitted on line, however should you need to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at: -******* --******.
This vacancy is open to both internal and external candidates. The successful candidate may be subject to the Company’s verification and vetting process if their vetting level changes. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that’s what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.