about 1 year ago
We are seeking an Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We need a personable engineer who wants to solve and deliver electrical, control and instrumentation engineering solutions to customers and who aspires to progress their technical career within the Energy sector. You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and always seeking to be forward thinking and going the extra mile to help us maintain our excellent performance.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Working for our Nuclear Generation business you will be part of a team of electrical, control and instrumentation engineering professionals. You must be happy to undertake technical work individually, or as part of a project team and to take responsibility for managing your own delivery to agreed timescales and budget. The role will entail document and drawing production and review for multiple projects, working closely with clients within their premises as well as remotely, managing your peers, developing opportunities and winning work. Enjoying technical work as well as interaction with people is key to your success.
Day-to-day activities will include;
• Full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation.
• Projects including refurbishments of old ageing design and new design, and with a wide range of electrical, control and instrumentation equipment, analogue (non-smart) and digital (smart) instrumentation and systems (relay based, solid state, PLC).
• Safety Case involvement and reliability engineering.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be. You will have an understanding of the full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You enjoy discussing and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineering expertise, Degree qualified or equivalent
• A reasonable amount of demonstrable experience working as an Electrical and/or Control & Instrumentation Engineer within the Nuclear Industry (preferable) or other highly regulated industry
• Commercial awareness is strongly desirable
• Experience in Safety Case production is desirable although not essential
• An appreciation of project and client management
• An appreciation of what’s required for design, when working in safety critical industries, like Nuclear
• An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success
• An understanding of the different activities that are undertaken as part of a project lifecycle
As part of our Energy business, our Nuclear Generation Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Team specialises in delivering electrical, control and instrumentation focussed engineering project to clients across industry. With existing relationships in Nuclear, both Civil and Defence sectors, as well as the wider energy market, we bring technical know-how from across the design lifecycle to help solve our client’s problems. We see integrated design services as a growth area and based in Bristol as part of the Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Team, we form part of a wider Energy business which gives us unrivalled access to significant players in all parts of the industry offering breadth of diversity and opportunity.
• Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
• Travel to other company sites may be necessary.
• This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
• Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
• Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all of our engineers.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.