7 months ago
Electrical and Control Engineer / Designer
Requisition ID :2019-64685
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Birchwood
Department / Discipline : Electrical Engineering
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
We are looking for Electrical and Control Engineer / Designer to deliver a variety of exciting bids and projects within our Nuclear business.
This role will be based in our Birchwood office in the North West of the UK but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
About Wood Nuclear
Wood’s nuclear business is a leading player in the big science, energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
We have offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in all of the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, both internationally and in the UK, developing strong relationships with our clients and implementing cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and be committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
The ideal candidate will have a good knowledge of British Standards within the Electrical Engineering discipline. As an Electrical Engineer you will be responsible for the Electrical design and deliverable aspects of small and large projects for nuclear build, refurbishment or decommissioning projects over the whole design lifecycle including concept, scheme and detail design phases, for a variety of clients.
Ideally you will have practical knowledge of control systems that will benefit the development of functional test rigs, as well as familiarity with in the design office where you have gained the knowledge of the types of drawings and documentation generated within a project life cycle. You will be able to produce these documents to the high standard the nuclear industry demands.
You will need to demonstrate competency in the production of electrical design documentation and instrument and control system design, relevant to the sectors in which we operate.
A practical appreciation of electrical safe systems of work, previous experience as an Electrical Authorised Person will be beneficial.
* Significant experience of working within a highly regulated industry, some of which must have been gained within the nuclear industry
* Degree Qualified or relevant experience to an equivalent level
* Working towards chartered status
* Must have sound knowledge of electrical systems, control systems and process instrumentation.
* Ability to communicate effectively with team members
* Familiar with Electrical design principles
* Knowledge of Low Voltage Directive
* Ideally familiar with drawing checking processe
* Develop Instrument Schedules, Block Cable Diagrams, and Instrument Data Sheets
* Develop control panel schematic diagrams.
* Develop schemes for Instrument Loop Drawings, Hook-Up Drawings, and Instrument Mounting Drawings
* Develop manufacturing and installation specifications to support new plant and equipment projects and/or Decommissioning projects
* Develop Lighting and Small Power designs, including lighting and cable calcs, SLD’s etc, to support other projects
* Provide guidance to PDMS engineers and other discipline engineers on Electrical, Control and Instrumentation engineering matters
* Participate in and advise on all design activities and initiatives, including documentation review etc.
* Perform all assigned work to agreed Safety, Health & Environmental standards and demonstrate a commitment to attaining high levels of HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) performance.
* Proactive interaction with other disciplines to ensure overall project goals are met. Drive innovative solutions to reduce cost and schedule
* Support the Principal Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineer, where required.
* Supervise Graduate Engineers/Apprentice’s
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.