4 months ago
Ecologist - Leicester
Passionate about ecology? Highly skilled and ambitious? Looking for the opportunity to manage your own projects?
As a consultancy of over 1,600 staff, we are large enough to work on high-profile schemes across the Midlands, including the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, Ely bypass alongside Cambridgeshire County Council and the ‘Our City Our River’ flood defence scheme in Derby. In addition, we work on a variety of residential, mineral and defence-sector schemes across the Midlands. We also deliver smaller schemes which allow you to experience the full life-cycle of a project, from tendering, through field work, project management, client liaison and final reporting. Based incredibly close to the M1 (just off of the A46) we offer free onsite parking and excellent transport links to a number of locations.
As such, we are looking to recruit an Ecologist (grade based on experience) to support our growing team in the Midlands. We are particularly keen to hear from those with at least two full seasons-worth of experience who are members of CIEEM (or eligible) and especially holders of a great crested newt Class 1 or 2 licences. In addition, Phase 1 Habitat survey skills are also highly desirable.
The ability to author technical ecological reports is assumed and anyproject management skillswould be beneficial. A full driving licence is essential and a relevant degree, CSCS Card and Security Clearance would be advantageous.
As experienced ecologists ourselves, we understand how ecologists think and work and have introduced ecology-specific methods to allow the team to fulfil their potential:
* With over 60 permanent ecologists across 13 offices, we work hard to operate as one cohesive team to minimise your time away from home and to share our wealth of experience.
* We utilise bespoke training and support from our in-house experts regardless of location – allowing the best people to work on the projects that interest them so they are delivered to the highest standards.
* We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project rather than just one niche area. We encourage diversification of skills and the passing-on of knowledge to the rest of the team. We recently held our annual all-ecology get together over two days where our experts provided training, including bats and lighting, BREEAM and badger sett exclusion, to name but a few.
* Given that all grades of ecologist complete site visits and meetings, we provide cars or car allowances to every member of the team, including for personal use.
* Our Class 2 bat licence incentivisation scheme rewards those ecologists who have spent time and effort in achieving their handling licence – we know it’s not easy! And to show our support for personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist status through CIEEM.
* We have an established Time Off In Lieu system which allows ecologists to manage their time throughout the year, to suit their specific needs, alongside the seasonal demands of the role. Working on night-time surveys can be tiring, so we allow people to work as flexibly as possible to try and maintain a sustainable life-work balance.
* We work alongside many other teams including Planners, Landscape Architects, Archaeologists and Engineers and with a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
If the timing’s not quite right for you, please do still get in touch, as we are focused on recruiting the best ecologists so are happy to discuss flexible working patterns or a delayed start-date, including part-time or fixed-term contracts, in order to secure the best candidate.