4 months ago
Job number: UK14772
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, West Midlands, Hereford
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Drainage Engineer to join our Living Places business unit to work in Hereford.
* Key Community Projects: flood defence schemes for Herefordshire;
* Providing bespoke comments for planning applications in regards to Flood Risk and Drainage;
* Assisting with investigating and resolving public drainage enquiries;
* Reviewing designs for adoptable infrastructure and property development;
* Undertaking drainage strategy investigation
What you'll be doing
As a Drainage Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
* Assess planning application proposals and provide bespoke comments on whether the application has properly considered drainage and flood risk elements
* Provide support to the wider team and consultants who will be undertaking hydraulic modelling and preparation of reports, with a focus on construction of fluvial and surface water hydraulic models;
* Prepare Section 19 Flood Risk studies;
* Review and approve land drainage consents.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
* Good communication skills with members of the public and other key stakeholders;
* Ability to work in a team;
* Background in drainage or flood risk (would be preferred but not essential);
* Ability to work to milestones
* Degree in a STEM subject.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.