4 months ago
The Director of Industrial Controls and Automation Solutions manages the business and all day-to-day operations of PCI Skanska’s Industrial Controls and Automation group. The individual in this role is responsible to secure work as the ambassador for their group’s staff; build and support project teams; manage and develop the group’s staff; lead in accordance with the company values, policies and standards; and deliver their targeted profit to the organization.
• Reports to the PCI Skanska Vice President / General Manager
• Direct Reports – Engineering/Design Managers and staff
What You’ll do:
• Lead Skanska’s core values and beliefs at all times
• Be an ambassador of the firm to the public
• Able to communicate vision to staff
• Able to demonstrate executive leadership competencies and behaviors
• Effective at handling multiple tasks and leading key initiatives as determined by VP/GM
• Work with other company leadership to develop necessary policies and procedures
• Work across PCI Skanska groups as well as Midwest construction to pursue key opportunities to create alignment and benchmark best practices
• Support the Business Planning efforts by developing, maintaining and tracking a group budget and initiatives.
• Present business strategies, action plans and updates to other firm leaders
• Able to lead a group of approximately 30 people that are made up of discipline managers, electrical engineers and designers, programmers and CAD tech’s
• Champion innovation within the group and within the company
Business Development requirements:
• Work with PCI Skanska leadership team to develop opportunities and customer relationships to support forecasting of opportunities and development of a robust pipeline and backlog to support revenue targets
• As a PCI Skanska business plan executive sponsor; develop, maintain and lead the execution of the business plan for the Food & Beverage targeted industry segment
• Assure alignment of Food & Beverage business plan with the Skanska Midwest 2020 business plan strategy
• Coordinate with PCI Skanska’s Director of Business Development and Skanska’s Business Development and Marketing staff to develop marketing media for external clients and internal Skanska
• Build and cultivate key client relationships in order to generate business
• Develop pursuit strategies to win project opportunities
• Able to effectively lead firm presentations to existing or potential clients
• Work with reporting Project Managers to develop pursuit strategies and review project proposals to clients
• Support project concerns from Project Managers and teams related to client management, resources/staffing, financials, schedules, recovery, quality, team dysfunction and team member performance
• Effectively review and comment on project contracts and commercial terms for pursuits
• Effectively negotiate contracts with clients while leveraging legal resources when needed
• Oversee reporting Project Managers that are managing project contracts
• Able to complete risk assessment of proposed projects to identify, mitigate and manage project risks
• Oversee and assure that effective quality standards are in place for discipline groups, and that project teams are following both discipline and firm quality standards
• Develop and maintain strong group organizational structure to facilitate the work
• Maintain constant oversight of staff assignments to assure quality deliverables while developing people through stretch assignments
• Lead the group’s staff recognition, discipline, terminations, promotions, salary adjustments, bonuses, and change of status for approval by VP/GM while working with HR
• Approve time sheets of all direct reports and assure proper timesheet approval of all employees in group
• Approve all personnel G&A expenses within their group
• Review and support all legal issues related to the group along with VP/GM
People Development and Retention requirements:
• Foster a culture of people development and oversee a strong program of staff development beginning with direct reports by executing Skanska Talent Management initiatives such as annual and midyear reviews, and supporting ongoing succession planning effort for business continuity.
• Ensure that all reporting managers are developing their people with proper communications and feedback for future roles whether in leadership, technical expertise or management
• Work with HR Manager to recruit and retain Key Employees related to our business
• Lead and manage successful new employee “on-boarding” and mentorship in accordance with policy
• Act as a mentor to High Potential employees and selected staff
• Has a good understanding of the consulting business and the financial metrics required to assure predictable profit
• Able to develop a plan with financials to meet group budget targets
• Able to lead and support the firm’s project financial planning and estimating, tracking, revenue recognition and billing procedures
• Able to support the effort to evaluate key leading indicators such as pipeline, backlog and bookings
• Able to ensure that project accounting, documentation and administration basics are consistently followed on all projects to provide accurate forecasts, schedule status and management of scope deviations
• Work with Project Managers and Discipline leads to assure checks and balances are working when estimating project percent completes to determine earned revenue
We’re looking for:
• A minimum of a BS in Electrical Engineering
• Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) preferred
• A minimum of 8 years of progressive design experience related to Controls and Automation – Experience as a consultant preferred
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience related to group leadership and management
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience related to project management
Experience as a consultant preferred
• A minimum of 2 years of experience working with construction contractors installing produced design
• High standard of professionalism
• Customer service focused
• Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to quickly resolve conflicting demands
• Able to learn on the fly and adapt to change
• Sensitive to the need of others and able to adapt their personal and interpersonal behavior quickly to effectively communicate with and influence others
• Can be counted on when times get tough and not shirk their personal responsibilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Short term travel required - typically no more than a week duration
• Lifting/carrying: Carrying light loads related to field measurement equipment, equipment cases weighing 15 lbs. or less.
• Dexterity: Ability to type using a keyboard with relative efficiency, ability to make handwritten notes and sketches indoors and outdoors at industrial plant and construction sites at any time of the year.
• Walking/Climbing: Ability to use multi-level stair towers and rung ladders unassisted.
• Visual Acuity: Ability to discern single line and 3 dimensional computer images representing objects being designed or drafted.
• Hearing: Ability to hear safety alarms and signals while wearing hearing protection.
• Physical exertion: Ability to walk up to one mile on industrial plant and construction sites outdoors at any time of the year. Ability to work in protective clothing which may elevate body temperatures by several degrees Fahrenheit for periods of up to 15 minutes without a break.
• Breathing: Ability to work while wearing a respirator or self-contained breathing apparatus.
Developing Your Career at Skanska, You Will:
• Contribute to a sustainable future improving the lives of people, communities and companies;
• Collaborate in an open culture where sound values and dedicated people come together for greater results;
• Thrive in a people-driven international company with countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age.
Skanska USA is one of the largest, most financially sound construction and development companies in the U.S., serving a broad range of clients including those in transportation, power, industrial, water/wastewater, healthcare, education, sports, data centers, government, aviation and commercial. Headquartered in New York with offices in 31 metro areas, we have more than 10,000 employees committed to being leaders in safety, project execution, sustainability, ethics and people development. In 2016, our work in building construction, civil and power/industrial construction, commercial development and infrastructure development (public-private partnerships) generated $6.8 billion in revenue. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled $17.7 billion in 2016. Skanska shares are publicly traded in the U.S. on the OTC market under the symbol SKBSY through a Level I American Depository Receipt program.
We are proud to be named one of America's Best Employers of 2017 by Forbes.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Skanska USA Human Resources (“Skanska HR”) provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively “Skanska USA”). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor (“Vendor”). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska HR.