12 months ago
Digital Studio Design Lead (LON0000IH)
: United Kingdom-London-London
: Applied Digital Strategies
Digital Studio Design Lead
Arup Digital Studio is a design and innovation team, reinventing the relationships between people, place and technology. We design services, spaces, and strategies, taking a human-centred approach at all scales, from mobile phones to the cities.
• We are looking for an experienced, dynamic, technically and commercially strong design leader to grow our existing service design and user experience work in particular, across a wide range of relevant sectors. This is an extraordinary opportunity to bring expertise from other sectors into the world of the built environment, infrastructure and cities.
• As a Design Lead in the Studio team based in London, you will play a meaningful role in the creative, technical and business leadership of this growing team. You will report into the Head of Arup Digital Studio and will be responsible for a diverse portfolio of design and technology-related consulting projects throughout their life-cycle from initiation to strategy, and from design into operation.
• As a leader within our Digital Studio team, you will oversee the delivery of projects, lead multi-disciplinary teams, play an active role in recruitment, business development and will manage work-streams and commissions for external and internal clients or partners.
• The Studio is an agile, dynamic environment, with a small focused team working across multiple complex, challenging but equally rewarding projects, using a range of coordination tools. If you're comfortable self-directing work, leading and working within highly collaborative teams, then this may be the opportunity for you.
The Studio’s clients include technology companies like Alphabet’s Google and Sidewalk Labs, Ericsson R&D, Samsung and Punkt, urban development companies like British Land and Lendlease, districts like Melbourne Innovation District and Stratford Waterfront, infrastructure providers such as Highways England and Heathrow Airport, campuses for University of Melbourne and Wellcome Trust, buildings like Collingwood Arts Precinct, Google’s new Kings Cross headquarters, and the Victoria & Albert Museum, and city governments in Amsterdam, Melbourne, Sheffield, and London, amongst others. We also collaborate with academic partners like the Bartlett School of Architecture at UCL, RMIT University in Melbourne, Royal College of Art and many others.
We are a small multidisciplinary team of interaction designers, service designers, architects, planners, strategic designers, user researchers and innovation consultants. We work collaboratively and draw on knowledge from our colleagues across Arup’s 14,000-strong global organisation. We work in the spirit of our founder’s total design sensibility, and across all aspects of the built environment.
Skills/Experience required for the role
• Typically, 8+ years’ experience as a designer or in a design-related context
• Deep understanding of consulting practices
• Good commercial experience, though equally a broad range of technical experience is ideal
• Enthusiasm for problem solving and creative work
• Significant experience managing client relationships and leading projects successfully
• Commercially aware, both project and business focused
• Strong experience leading teams within design or multidisciplinary project teams
Desirable skills and knowledge
• Development of relationships and business opportunities with built environment (broadly defined) clients or collaborators, or around service design, user experience design or strategic design
• Commercial management skills in administering projects and financial and resource forecasting on a monthly basis
Service design, user experience design, interaction design, strategic design, industrial design, architecture, business innovation or equivalent
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Closing date: 24.09.2018