5 months ago
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To define architecture, design, specify and implement electronic units including PCB schematics to relevant European Space Agency flight standards. This will be completed in accordance with relevant Thales Quality Management and industry Standards.
A working knowledge of analogue electronics design, FPGA Design (VHDL) and embedded processors (SPARK V8 LEON / ARM) is required. Familiarity with the requirements traceability (DOORS) to support design and development process is required. Experience of Mentor xDX Designer for schematic capture and Mentor xPCB for layout is preferred.
Reporting to the Hardware Engineering Manager The main duties and responsibilities will include:
* Customer requirements analysis;
* Architectural design;
* Derivation of design solutions considering hardware-software partitioning;
* Assessment and trade-off of design options;
* Selection of parts suitable for the space environment;
* Design of the required function to schematic level;
* Worst case and Stress Analysis of the design to ensure reliable operation;
* Failure Mode Effects Criticality Analysis;
* Definition of test procedures;
* Creation of manufacture data packs;
* Managing PCB layout activities, applying high-speed layout techniques where appropriate
* Supporting the manufacturing and Product Assurance manager during the build phase;
* Supporting PCB level testing;
* Supporting integration and testing at unit and Spacecraft level;
* Support to reviews at all levels of the design, development and testing of the function;
* Liaise with customers and subcontractors on technical issues
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Bristol office but up to 20% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe.
* Hardware Engineering Manager for overall supervision.
* Workpackage Manager for detailed hardware task supervision & mentoring.
* Project Manager for definition of work packages and detailed project oversight of task delivery.
* Other engineering teams to define interfaces, requirements specification and verification to support hardware design, implementation & test activity.
* Product Assurance Manager for support of investigation and correction of problems.
* Customer interaction to achieve consensus on technical aspects
* Technical oversight of sub-contract delivery
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Deliver defined tasks to budget & schedule
* Derivation of unit or board level requirements;
* Generate specification, architecture, development and validation plans
* Analyse and where appropriate identify developments required at EM and EQM to support flight development
* Implement and test hardware in accordance with relevant standards
* Support Skill Lead in optimising approaches to engineering processes
Values & Behaviours:
* Produce items to quality standards to meet customer / contractual requirements.
* Provide all tasks and outputs, typically defined within a work package description, in conformance to agreed scope budget and schedules.
* Build relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively with others to achieve project goals.
* Contribute to professional exchanges and develop the corporate expertise in digital design engineering.
* Proactive to optimise engineering processes to reduce costs
Financial / Budgetary Responsibility:
* Manage assigned work packages
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!