11 days ago
About the Role
To assist the Principal Engineer – Development Management and other senior staff in providing transportation and highway advice for and on behalf of Northamptonshire County Council in its capacity as Local Highway Authority.
The post will provide highway and transportation advice to local planning authorities in respect of development proposals and secure appropriate financial contributions and/or highway works.
The post holder will also be expected to provide professional highway, traffic and development control advice to Local Councils, MP’s, Councillors and other members of the Community.
1. To prepare and issue statutory highway and transport related responses to planning applications and all that this entails including site visits, layout assessment and any other matters relating to the planning consultation process including preparation of evidence and attendance at public inquiries.
2. To undertake technical appraisals of highway engineering works proposed as part of development proposals within Northamptonshire in accordance with Northamptonshire County Council’s Policies and Standards.
3. To provide impartial professional highway and transport related advice to the relevant Northamptonshire County Council committees and represent Highway Services in consultations with MP’s, Councillors, Police and Community Groups and individuals, by providing high quality highways advice and responses to issues raised.
4. To secure, in association with the Principal Engineer – Development Management and other senior staff, appropriate levels of infrastructure / contributions on major developments to support Northamptonshire County Council’s aims and objectives in delivering sustainable development proposals and to administer individual Section 106 agreements and any other legal agreements entered into through monitoring incept dates, financial commitments and any other requirements placed upon the authority in administering its duties.
5. To carry out investigations, feasibility appraisals, analysis, briefs and concept designs, making use of computer aided design and office management software where appropriate, over a full range of schemes to increase mobility, road safety, and accessibility, and to influence modal shift.
6. To ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for the health, safety and welfare of yourself and other persons, and to comply with policies and procedures relating to health and safety within KierWSP.
7. Demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs.
8. To carry out any other duties which fall within the broad spirit, scope and purpose of this job description.
Essential Experience and Knowledge
* Experience of highway engineering and/or planning policies and the development plan process.
* Ability to understand Section 278/38 and Section 106 Agreements used in relation to Developments
* Ability to understand technical and safety audit requirements
* Ability to understand and follow technical, legal and administrative procedures.
* Experience in preparing and presenting technical reports to senior managers
Desirable Experience and Knowledge
* Demonstrate experience of managing schemes, budgets and other resources
* Familiar with highway design standards
* Experience of preparing Transport Assessments
* Experience of using Strategic Transport Models
Essential Ability and Skills
Ability to work on own initiative and apply creative and innovative thinking to projects, and emerging strategies
Ability to think and work at a strategic level, and understand the impact of decision making on communities and the environment
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability of communicating effectively at all levels and of presenting ideas on service issues to colleagues and the community.Goood written, verbal and numerical skills
* Ability to travel to different locations is an essential requirement of the post as is the attendance of evening meetings as and when required.
* The post holder will occasionally be required to attend evening meetings with members of the public, Parish and Town Councils, and other Council Committees.
Desirable Ability and Skills
* Political awareness and judgement
* Demonstrate experience of managing effective and meaningful public consultation associated with specific projects.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower.
We believe that a blend of empowerment and responsibility results in outstanding achievements, as you progress along a flexible career path. Maybe you want to use your technical abilities to offer clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions, or take the lead to bring a client’s vision to life as a project director. Maybe you want to excel as part of the operational side of what we do.
Whatever route you take, we hold all of our colleagues to the same above-average standards, while providing them with the tools, training and support they need to craft their own journeys.