about 1 year ago
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Annual leave 25 days
* Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
* Sick leave goes up with length of service.
* Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
* Season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support
* Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
* Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
* Discounted access to sports and social clubs
* Employee Assistance Programme.
The purpose of this role is:
1. To develop designs/estimates for the replacement of the existing distribution network and for the expansion of the distribution network for strategic projects.
2. To complete LV cable and protection calculations relating to designs.
3. To create CAD drawings for all works and complete drawings for others.
Programme Budget: <£2 million
Staff: No direct reports but has functional responsibility for delivering work packs to the project managers, this is to include CAD drawings.
The Designer must have a sound background in HV/LV distribution. They must also be able to demonstrate an ability to analyse complex situations and produce designs, estimates and contingency plans to meet business objectives.
The individual will need to be self-motivated and able to work independently and produce their own CAD drawings, be a good communicator with flexibility and an adaptable approach to problem solving is essential. This must include the development of a strong working relationship with the client
1. Liaison – Regular liaison and cooperation with the Operational Teams, Project Manager; Asset Manager and Compliance Engineers, to ensure comprehensive understanding of current and future design/developments.
Undertake additional activities commensurate with their job level and competency
2. The use and application of Design Standards.
3. The Design of Network changes for Airport projects.
4. Apply correct design policy.
5. Provide competitive estimates for all works
6. Design to exceed Customer expectations.
7. Produce work packs for the Operational team describing all facets of project installation.
8. Produce work packs for the Operational team satisfying all safety requirements.
9. Manage and apply the legal process.
10. Interpret and analyse management information and highlight matters requiring the attention of the company’s senior management.
11. Compliance with the client’s and UK Powers Network Services Environmental policies during design
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Health and safety
Support the Stay Safe programme for UK Power Networks Services. Fulfil legal HSE requirements as detailed under Health & Safety Responsibilities below.
Will also be expected to understand and be able to operate within CDM standards.
Attend regular meetings with the client which include:
* progress meetings
* performance (programme) meetings if requested
* other client organised meetings
The Designer is accountable to the operational teams for delivery of project work packs.
Attend regular meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
Qualified electrical engineer (HV and LV)
Amtech protection design tool
IEE Wiring Regulations
CDM qualified / trained
ISOH / NEBOSH
Risk management trained
Full UK driving license
Site Specific Requirements
* Security ID Pass eligibility. Requirement to provide 5 year work record, references and satisfactory Disclosure Scotland checks
* Complete and pass site specific driving test.
* Any other future requirements that the client may impose with respect to working at a site.
Stakeholder (internal / external) satisfaction scores
Time (percentage delivered on-time)
Quality (product pass percentage)
Monthly performance reporting (on time)
Monthly communication to stakeholders (on time)
* Note – The above performance measures are typical for this role, specific targets (and possibly additional performance measures) commensurate with this role will be defined each year via IPR
1. Experience of Hv/ LV designing.
1. Must have a sound background in Electrical distribution.
2. Visible demonstration of commitment to ‘Stay Safe’ and knowledge of CDM standards
1. Can articulate how this is physically demonstrated.
3. Able to effectively communicate positive and negative news at all levels of the business
1. Can articulate when praise and bad news is given and how effective.
4. Maintains a clear understanding of which elements of the design are critical to its success
5. Undertake design reviews, approvals and technical audits of schemes designs.
6. Liaise with operational teams to ensure designs are fit for purpose and deliverable on site.
7. Act as the technical point of reference for the resolution of technical issues relating to the design and construction of schemes undertaken by the operational team.
8. Maintaining an awareness of current industry best practices and be proactive in seeking improved and innovative project solutions.
9. Possess an understanding of both construction and future operational requirements of the design proposals to enable project, construction and handover risks to be identified.
10. Demonstrate excellent communication and influencing skills, be able to prioritise workload and be able to work to tight deadlines with minimum supervision.
11. Understands the importance of proactively managing change within the design brief
1. Processes are in place to monitor, report and manage change effectively
12. Influence – is able to influence stakeholder in a proactive and effective manner.
13. Motivation – self discipline to deliver work packs in a timely manner.
14. Have a broad understanding of site operations and the client’s requirements.
15. Able to make decision and clearly communicate actions to management.
1. Recognised for being able to make clear decisions, quickly and effectively
16. Proactively maintains their own competencies and keeping up to date with wider business changes
1. Demonstrates at IPR a proactive approach to continual personal development
17. Understands importance of working closely with the Operational Teams, Project Managers; Asset Manager and Compliance Engineers and client representatives to share plans, progress and challenges
1. Can demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and issues they face in their respective roles and can demonstrate what practical support has been given
18. To be based at Gatwick Airport, but will be required to undertake wok at any location.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
The Sunday Times 30 Best Big Companies to Work for 2017