23 days ago
Job number: UK17134
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, Yorkshire and Humber, Leeds
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager to join our Regional team to work in Leeds.
To support the implementation and manage the control of the design process to ensure that the design and procurement of projects are delivered to meet Client / Employers Requirements / Contractors Proposals requirements and are in line with agreed cost parameters.
To support the Site Delivery teams by providing design input and cost-effective solutions.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Manager, your main responsibilities are as follows:
* Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer. The design should deliver:
* Safety in construction and use
* Quality within affordable parameters
* Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact
* Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community
* Work with customers and design partners to define the desired outcomes and develop the design management plan for each design stage to deliver the desired outcome
* Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team including M&E elements. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties
* Provide advice and guidance on the buildability of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages
* Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required such as town planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water
* Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required
* Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
* Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
* Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other Site Based / Design / Work Winning team members as required
* Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme
* Lead the implementation of the BIM protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
* Provide BIM management duties, ensuring the supply chain is fully aware of BIM requirements
* Consider the application of Lean construction techniques in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction
* Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the bid/project with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the CSUK business
* Proactively contribute to the Risk and Value Management process
* Live the Balfour Beatty Values
* Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
* Support the delivery of Balfour Beattys Sustainability activities
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
* This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services principally during the design development stages and successfully implementing design strategies as well as relevant project experience
* Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure. The individual will know what good looks like in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner
* Good working knowledge of BIM is required. The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement
* Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g. ICE, RIBA, BIBSE, IET, aligned to the workstream is recommended. A valid CSCS card is a requirement
* Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential. Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream
* The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant Business Stream
* Numeracy and bid/report writing is a requirement
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.