11 months ago
Job number: UK13843
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, East Midlands, Northampton
About the role
Balfour Beatty is currently recruiting for a Design Manager to join our Regional South team based in Northampton. We are looking for candidates with experience of civils projects including; highways, structures, MOD and rail with values between GBP5 million and GBP100 million.
This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services within a Work Winning environment and provide design management support to projects in production.
The successful applicant will support the implementation and manage the control of the design process to ensure that the design and procurement of specialist packages are delivered to meet project requirements and are in line with cost parameters.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
* Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget and time constraints. The design should deliver:
* Safety in construction and use
* Quality within affordable parameters
* Ease of maintenance
* Innovation to meet customer goals
* Manage design quality
* Manage design deliverables in both precon and production stages depending upon the project status
* Manage CDM compliance
* Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd
* Manage designers appointments
* Provide advice and guidance on the buildability of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages.
* Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities where required such as town planning, building control and services e.g. gas and water.
* Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required
* Lead the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
* Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables
* Lead gate reviews activities to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate to include appropriate communication to Bid Managers and other team members as required,
* Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, project deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme
Who we're looking for
This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services in production stage and within a Work Winning environment and successfully implementing design strategies as well as relevant project experience. Much of the works will be Civil biased (highways, bridges etc) and a proven record in successfully delivery of similar works would be required.
Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure. The individual must have site based experience and also should have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner.
Good working knowledge of BIM is required. The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement. Working knowledge of NEC contract is required.
Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g.ICE aligned to the work stream is recommended. A valid CSCS card is a requirement.
Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential. Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream.
The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant Business Stream.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.