3 months ago
Design Manager – Water – London
Murphy is hiring a Design Manager to join a growing team in London to support the commencement of new projects in 2020. An opportunity to work with a highly skilled team and create innovative engineering solution to deliver world class infrastructure to Water clients in the South.
* Support the project delivery teams and our chosen consultants within the water sector by supporting the production of concept, basic and detailed design solutions based on client and site-specific requirements for clean water, wastewater and bio solids treatment solutions, pipelines, trunk mains, sewers pumping stations, networks and utility diversions
* Support senior design managers, consultants and multi-discipline engineering teams to deliver the design solutions to schedule and budget to a high standard of professional competence
* Murphy encourages professional and personal development through a recognised Professional Development Program approved by the ICE
WHY JOIN MURPHY
Our Water Business is operating nationally providing world-class infrastructure solutions to Thames water, United Utilities, Severn Trent, HS2, Bristol Water, South East Water, Wessex Water and Sutton & East Surrey Water. The Water Business has an annual turnover of c. £200 million.
Murphy are working on a number of frameworks in the South of England and the Midlands and future opportunity in London on frameworks and a utility diversion D&B project.
* Take ownership and accountability of the technical appropriateness of the project solutions delivered throughout project life cycle.
* Manage and lead on the development of design responsibility matrices and scope of works for external design consultants
* Manage the agreed contract with external design consultants ensuring that duties are discharged under the contract and if not that appropriate action is taken
* Manage the development and delivery of appropriate, robust, reliable, operable and maintainable asset designs that meet the project objectives.
* Management of a multi-discipline team of Design Coordinators and Engineers from within the business, consultants and partner companies in the production of project solutions to the required level of design.
* Assist with production and management of project engineering budgets and schedules for review by the head of engineering prior to submission to the Project Manager.
* Implement change control processes to track and manage the development of the Engineering element of a project to ensure all budgetary, programme and scope changes are correctly managed
* Ensure that all engineering outputs provided are in accordance with Health and Safety Legislation, documented Business Processes, Quality Management Systems & best practice e.g. checked and verified: calculations, drawings, specifications, and compliance with appropriate standards.
* Evaluate designs and solutions.
* Support supply chain selection for specialists input to the design.
* Collaboration with other technical, operational, maintenance, strategic stakeholders and design co-ordinators
* Continuous improvement of the design management processes.
* Dissemination of design information and innovation through regular team briefings
* Liaison with Engineering Managers, /Senior Design Managers, Project Managers and consultants concerning project issues, scope changes, risks etc.
* Temporary Works: Understanding of what encompasses Temporary Works and the supporting engineering, understanding of the types of temporary works designs available and what responsibilities the associated roles have and engagement of temporary works designers.
* Undertake site visits when required.
* Ensure that chargeable work is identified and evaluated including the preparation of adequate records of time spent.
* Maintain responsibility for the staring, filing and archiving of documents relevant to the design tasks undertaken by yourself or your team via BIM/CDE.
* Lead the design process within Work Winning to ensure sufficient, economical designs are in place for tender purposes and manage out as much risk as possible.
* Based in the London/South of England
* Significant experience in a design coordination/ design management role within the UK water sector.
* Management skills – confident managing staff, clients, figures, issues and programmes.
* Flexibility and willingness to travel.
* HND or Engineering Degree qualified
* Member of a recognised engineering institution. Incorporated Engineer or Chartered and or working towards membership.
* competitive salary
* car or car allowance
* 27 days holiday (option to buy or sell 2 per year)
* Discretionary annual bonus
* Above market rate pension
* 2x charity days/giving back days
* Life assurance
* Other Murphy benefits include: retail discounts and cashback, discounted gym memberships, cycle to work scheme etc.