5 months ago
Job number: UK13975
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, South East, Reading
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Design Manager to join our Regional team to work in AWE Aldermaston, Reading.
* Mange delivery of design on a major project working closely with commercial and production team in both preconstruction and construction stages.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Manager you will:
* Manage the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer;
* Manage and ensure effective briefing of the Design Team including M&E elements. This includes, where necessary, the management of any 3rd parties or novated design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications, and where necessary, checking the competence and resources of any incumbent design teams or 3rd parties;
* Manage Subcontractor design packages and technical approvals;
* Provide advice and guidance on the buildability of the design proposals to the design and construction teams on all packages;
* Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required such as town planning, building control and
services e.g. gas and water;
* Support Change Control Processes;
* Lead Value Engineering Processes;
* Support the Safety by Design & Engineering forum or other similar forums, representing the business stream, as required;
* Support implementation of the BIM CSUK protocols, including teamwork and collaboration and the management and sharing of data relating to BIM models
* Support BIM management during the bid stage ensuring the supply chain is fully aware of BIM requirements;
* Consider the application of Lean construction techniques in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction;
* Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the bid/project with the aim of sharing it across the business stream and the CSUK business.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* This role requires an individual with proven experience in delivering design services on site during construction stage and successfully implementing design strategies;
* Leadership skills in a matrix organisation are required to deliver design services in a timely manner with a customer and business sector specific focus;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure;
* The individual will know what good looks like in bid submissions and work winning and have hands on experience of delivering work-winning bids in a timely manner;
* Good working knowledge of BIM is required;
* The individual will have experience within the most current forms of procurement;
* Relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g. RIBA, BIBSE, IET, aligned to the
workstream is recommended;
* A valid CSCS card is a requirement;
* Excellent IT Skills relevant to the Business Stream are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential;
* Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material, applicable to the Business Stream;
* The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the relevant Business Stream;
* Numeracy and bid/report writing is a requirement.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.