8 months ago
Job number: UK14446
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, London, London
About the role
Balfour Beatty are looking to recruit a Design Lead for a GBP300m new build research facility.
Initially based in central London you will be working on the design phase of 8 new build facilities which will provide offices and state of the art engineering and laboratory work spaces for a high security site in Reading. Due to the nature of the work you will be expected to complete an enhanced security vetting procedure prior to relocating to site.
What you'll be doing
As, Design Lead/Head of Design, you will be responsible for the following:-
* Developing accurate and sufficient design deliverables for the delivery of RIBA Stages 1 to 6;
* Management of timely design review workshops with our designers and with the client;
* Accurately recording actions arising from all design reviews and HAZID/HAZOP workshops to ensure our design meets requirements;
* Ensuring that safety in design is a fundamental feature of our developed designs;
* Ensuring that our designers carry out their design packages efficiently and to the project budget and the designer's own budgets;
* Updating the project programme and Earned Value Management data monthly to track progress of the design accurately;
* Raising Early Warning Notices timely and as appropriate;
* Ensuring that Change Management is carried out on a very controlled manner with all relevant parties being kept informed of change;
* Agreeing, with our designers, appropriate design package WBS to ensure that the designers follow the project programme logic;
* Liaising with client stakeholders to ensure that the developed design achieves the project scope and is in accordance with the Initial Project Brief document ;
* Efficiently managing sub-ordinate 4 Design Managers accountable for managing the agreed design works packages whilst following the WBS of the design programme;
* Preparing and inputting into all necessary weekly and monthly reports;
* Owning and driving forward the TQ/RFI process used to overcome blockers and create the earliest resolution to design issues/problems to the regular progress of the required design;
* Challenging the design solutions being put forward by the appointed designers to ensure best for project outcomes.
Who we're looking for
The following experience/qualifications are required:-
* Prior relevant experience in the successful management of the RIBA design process following the RIBA Plan of Work 2013;
* Extensive experience in managing multiple design teams and design packages;
* The ability to communicate well and succinctly to direct reports, peers and senior leadership teams;
* The ability to command the respect and attention from the client by proving detailed knowledge and understanding of design issues, progress blockers and clear solutions to problems;
* Keen commercial aptitude;
* Able to demonstrate passion for prompt and timely production of the project design(s);
* A degree, or HND in a relevant subject is desirable, as is Professional membership of one or more of the following: RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/CIBSE
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.