about 1 month ago
Base Location: Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness
Salary: £41,307 - £54,556 depending on skills and experience + car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
As our Design Engineer you'll be responsible for day to day operation in the central design team, working with portfolio management to identify projects, and applying SSEN standardised designs up to 33kV. In this role you will be:
- producing or verifying design calculations, checking and approving design deliverables in a quality management setting to ensure the most appropriate and cost-effective design solutions are selected to meet customer requirements
- ensuring SSEN standardised designs are applied and aligned to the basis of design for execution by SSEN and provide engineering design inputs to ITT's (Instructions to Tender), including review tender returns
- taking responsibility for specification of plant through completion of order schedules for primary plant items, which will require an understanding of the plant items and their interaction
- coordination of pre-construction surveys, stakeholder engagement and agreement of project scope, producing pre-tender documentation including programmes and financial forecasting, and ensuring compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- competency in power system design up to 33kV with an understanding of design governance and statutory requirements including CDM
- a qualification (minimum of HNC level) in a relevant discipline or have demonstrable experience in a similar role
- an understanding of RIIO-ED1 annual business plan would be beneficial, along with good knowledge of the statutory, regulatory, reporting and legal requirements for power system design of the network
- the ability to understand and respond to KPI metrics of work output and effectively communicate and engage with the wider team
- a full, current driving licence
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Andy on -******* or--******.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.