11 months ago
Job number: UK14614
Company/Division: Balfour Beatty Living Places
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, West Midlands, Hereford
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Design Engineer to join our Living Places business unit to work in Hereford.
To undertake civil engineering design as a member of the design team on the Herefordshire Public realm contract.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Engineer, your main accountabilities will be as follows:
* Manage third party inputs into allocated projects.
* Undertake liaison with members over the public as required in the development of the design for projects, including public consultation events.
* Advise the project manager of any changes to the agreed programme and input into change control processes relating to programme.
* Advise the project manager of any matters that may impact the delivery of the project and input into the change control process.
* Deliver design work in line with local and national standards and Balfour Beatty policies and procedures.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are required:
* Ideally degree educated with professional membership.
* Proven Experience utilising software including AutoCad and BIM (Building Information Modeling)
* Experience and understanding of on and off the public highway on construction sites.
* Experience of NEC Option 3 contract type
* Experience and understanding of CDM regulations, and risk.
* PC Literate and knowledge of MS suite i.e. Word, Excel, Project etc.
* Good forward planner
* Design or technical background
* Good knowledge of all aspects of a construction project
* Good communication and people skills
* Work well under pressure
* Ability to present ideas effectively
* Able to evaluate ideas of others
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.