10 months ago
up to £35,000 dependant on experience
To carry out all relevant duties and responsibilities in the work of the Design Team on behalf of the wider Highways Service to ensure the delivery of cost effective and quality services in accordance with Re’s vision and values so as to enhance the quality of life and physical environment of Barnet and contribute to the prosperity of the borough. Post holder will also provide technical support in the effective and efficient promotion, design and execution of projects, schemes, investigations and analysis as required within budgets and programmes.
This role will be based in Barnet. Travelling may be required to other Capita offices on occasions.
Role and Responsibilities
* Developing briefs, feasibility studies and undertakes design and implementation of schemes, projects and programmes for small and medium sized projects as allocated, including drawing using specialist IT Software.
* Assisting with the design and supervision of projects, preparation of estimates, working drawings and Contract documents for projects of varying complexity, dependent on the potholder’s grading.
* Assist in designing specifications and cost estimates, issuing works requisitions, liaising with and supervising contractors and monitoring costs.
* Assisting in obtaining the necessary technical, administrative and financial approvals and in the preparation, supervision and administration of associated consultants’ commissions or contracts.
* To lead on projects as allocated.
* Assisting with, or carry out condition surveys and site surveys as directed and to assist with, or carry out the preparation of reports on findings. To assist in the introduction of new methods as necessary to ensure efficient use of resources, including taking an active role in promoting best value.
* Liaising, where appropriate, with other Agencies and Bodies and inter and intra services to co-ordinate projects, attending meetings as necessary including with commercial scheme promoters.
* Be able to assess a variety of existing and proposed highway layouts – including town centre schemes, traffic signals, road safety schemes, route studies, cycle, bus or School initiative schemes.
* Assisting in preparing scheme plans to requisite design levels, ensuring they conform to technical and industry standards.
* Assisting in design and manage traffic surveys and public consultations to requisite standards produce detailed drawings to technical standards, prepare accurate complex cost estimates and contract documentation.
* Investigate the causes of accidents, analyse options and make recommendation for effective remedial measures.
* Assisting in Commissioning and managing consultant engineering undertaking design and feasibility work to prepare scheme brief and monitor consultants performance as directed by the team leader.
* Assisting with the draft Committee reports which may cover policy issues and to implement decisions arising from them.
* Preparing letters of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder’s grading, including assisting with letters on policy matters, proofs of evidence, technical reports, briefs for consultants and other documents of all complexities as may be required.
* Maintaining technical and resource records, and undertake research and technical investigations as directed.
* Representing the service at public and other meetings as directed, dependent on the post holder’s grading. To liaise and deal courteously with enquiries from members of the public.
* Carry out duties with due regard to the Re’s Customer Care, Equal Opportunities, Information Governance, Data Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
* Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Financial and Asset Responsibilities
To assist in the preparation of estimates, the supervision and administration of Contracts and to control any resources allocated ensuring compliance with financial regulations, standing orders and the relevant legislation.
* Junior Staff on day to day or project by project basis.
* Consultants and contractors undertaking work for Re as directed.
Other – Performance Measures
* Programme achievement.
* Budget achievement.
* Adherence to Re’s Standing Orders, contractual procedures and the preparation of comprehensive contract records for all projects.
* Contributions to reports and other documents.
* Technical competence.
In order to deliver the service effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and the post holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above. Such duties, however, will fall within the scope of the post, at the appropriate grade.
* Must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in traffic / highway engineering
* General Knowledge of Traffic and Transport Polices and Legislation
* Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Good IT Skills – including the use of Autocad
* Good time /budgetary management skills
* Working knowledge of basic legislation
* Confident self-motiving and innovative
* Able to work without close supervision
* Experience of working with consultants/ Contractors
* Ability to keep good work records
* Valid driving licence
* Own means of transport
* Occasional out of normal hours working
* Managing Complex Engineering Projects
* Member of an appropriate high institution (IHT,IHIE,ICE etc)
* ONC/HNC or Degree in Civil Engineering