about 1 year ago
Design Engineers in our global Research, Design and Development centre based in Malmesbury.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
Deliver design solutions that:
* Apply innovative problem solving skills to support the vision specification for new product concepts.
* Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
* Demonstrate a complete system approach to product layout considering discipline and product requirements.
* Are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods
* Comply with all relevant International Standards
* Are innovative / novel with high value IP for Dyson products
* Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management, including design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept and proof of principle through to developed prototypes and production.
* Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
* Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing
* Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs.
* Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
* Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency.
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems or products.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* Strong understanding in the use of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages.
* Knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining / castings / stamping) and common issues with these with a broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
* An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics and an awareness of the application of electronics.
* Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver cost effective, high performance, reliable designs for low to high volumes.
* An understanding of practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such as aerodynamics, acoustics, thermodynamics, and electrical systems.
* Assembly supplier selection.
* DFMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability.
* Demonstrable ability to create detailed prototype rigs for proving out performance and functional criteria
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.