2 months ago
Design Automation Developer (LON0000TM)
: United Kingdom-London-London
: Digital Services
Our Infrastructure London Group is growing its digital team and there is an excellent opportunity for a Design Automation Developer to work closely with other team members who are leading the delivery of engineering design and software projects. You will be directed by a steering group of engineers and digital specialists.
The team provides digital engineering solutions and support for Arup design teams which may include but not limited to:
• Develop and automate design workflows;
• Create connections between different source databases, design and analysis packages;
• Develop innovative digital solutions to engineering problems;
• Explore and implement AI (e.g. ML) solutions to engineering problems; and
• Create plugins for BIM, GIS and design software platforms.
You will be actively involved in delivering solutions in all areas that the team is involved with. The team is currently growing in response to increasing use of digital technologies to provide innovation on Arup projects.
You will be involved in activities related to delivering software as part of the Infrastructure London group. These include:
• Developing and supporting software used by civil, structural and geotechnical designers within Arup globally;
• Working closely with project teams in London and globally to develop and support project specific solutions which may:
• Support new or advanced workflows in design teams;
• Enable the creation of 'digital deliverables' for our clients, e.g. custom 3D environments or project/client specific software;
• Working directly with end-users and enjoy learning about their needs;
• Working in a fast-paced environment to work with civil engineers and digital colleagues, help define the solution and then deliver tools to automate tasks for those users;
• Identifying recurrent problems and see opportunities for delivering a generic digitally enhanced solution;
• Maintaining the integrity of software projects and codebases through appropriate design, version control and task tracking;
• Working with senior team members to deliver solutions for our internal and external clients;
• Working closely with the digital insights team as a conduit for emerging digital opportunities into the Infrastructure London Group; and
• Work directly with internal clients to gather requirements and design solutions.
To be successful, you will need to be comfortable with:
• A blend of autonomy and working with others;
• Managing your day to day workload and priorities
• Being part of opportunities to promote the work you do across the office and across the region, to uncover more challenges and opportunities to tackle.
Required Skills & Experience
• Degree (or higher) in Computer-Aided Engineering or Computer Science or Software Engineering or in an Engineering or Science discipline, with demonstrated experience in developing technical software;
• Ability to manipulate data in a variety of forms (XML, SQL, Excel, Text, JSON, etc.);
• Experience using source code management such as Git, Subversion, Mercurial or similar;
• Experience or interest in Microsoft Office products, in particular Excel VBA or Office.js;
• Good organisation and documentation of work, to communicate and share skills with the wider team.
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Previous experience in an Architecture, Engineering or Construction firm working with spatial data;
• Knowledge of software typical to AEC industry – AutoCAD, Microstation, Revit, GSA, Plaxis, Rhino, SAP2000;
• Experience of C#, C++, R
• Experience of visual programming languages e.g. FME, Grasshopper.
• Experience with 3D modelling software or games engines (Unity3d, Unreal Engine);
• Knowledge/experience of using SQL (SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres) and/or NoSQL (HBase, Redis, MongoDB) data stores
• Interested in Cloud Hosting and Deployment (e.g. AWS, Azure)
• Experience working with team members and users in remote locations;
• Interested in Web Application and Server Architectures (e.g. MVC, REST APIs), but curious about ‘serverless’ solutions such as AWS Lambda
• Knowledge of 3D CAD and Building Information Modelling software (e.g. Autodesk Revit, Autodesk Navisworks, Tekla, Rhino or similar);
• Experience with Engineering design processes (i.e. Structural/Civil Engineering)
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Closing Date: 19/03/2019