9 months ago
Design and Build Manager
Job number: UK11389
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Engineering - Design
Region/State: West Midlands
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty Living Places provides highways maintenance, street lighting and public realm services to local authorities, helping to create places where people want to live, work and play.
Living Places are currently looking to recruit a Design and Build Manager to work in Hereford. You will be working across 4 key areas; Asset Management, Design, Project Management and Delivery. Each of these areas is led by a manager who will report to you.
Our Asset Management team works closely with the client to decide on investment priorities, our design team develops solutions to problems to be delivered either by our own in-house teams or via sub-contracted works. Our in-house design team is supported by external consultants; you will be responsible for managing the relationship with these consultants to achieve technically and commercially robust solutions for our client.
Capital maintenance works delivered through the team are valued up to £20m per annum, mainly comprising highway surfacing works and structures refurbishment. Schemes also include high profile urban realm enhancement works such as Hereford City centre upgrading works.
The portfolio of projects to be delivered ranges from small highway and urban realm maintenance and improvement works to multi-million highway infrastructure projects. Current major projects being project managed by the team include a £150m bypass and a £30m link road.
Additionally from 1st September 2018, the team will take on capital works for the client’s property portfolio across Herefordshire.
You will have demonstrable experience of risk management, CDM and HSE plus Quality knowledge and skills.
What you'll be doing
As a Design and Build Manager, you will be responsible for the following:
* Managing the Design and Build Team with its 4 areas of work (5 once property contract starts on 1st September).
* Owning senior level relationships with the client officers and elected members
* Owning the relationship with key suppliers, both professional services companies supporting design and development of projects and sub-contractors supporting on site delivery
* Having accountability for quality delivery of the services and ensuring customer satisfaction
* Providing technical leadership across the D&B Team
* Providing safety leadership across the D&B Team, driving towards Zero Harm
* Supporting the work winning team with technical support on bids
* Liaising with all key stakeholders such as statutory bodies/authorities as required – such as planning authority, statutory undertakers, Environment Agency, Heritage England, Natural England etc
* Implementing improvement plans in order to save money, reduce waste and optimise construction.
* Supporting the delivery of CSUK’s Sustainability activities
Who we're looking for
This role requires an individual with proven experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams to deliver projects. You should have experience of building relationships at senior level both within your current organisation and externally.
You will have:
* A relevant engineering degree and hold a relevant Professional membership with an appropriate institute, e.g. ICE
* Appropriate knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material
* Good interpersonal and communication skills
* A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer
* Experience with the most current forms of procurement
* Strong literacy and numerical skills
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic ‘place shaping’ agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the ‘road’ to deliver the potential of the ‘street’: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.